1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. Pear trees

Pear trees Registered User

Jan 25, 2015
    I normally telephone my mum every day and visit at least twice a week. She has started putting the receiver straight down without speaking on every call. If she does answer she rambles for a few minutes and is very confused, then puts the phone down.
    My SIL has suggested I only phone a few times, if at all. She pops in at least twice a day along with carers and would tell me if there is a problem.
    At first I was upset at this suggestion, but it seems to be working. When I do see my mum she does not know me anyway but seems less stressed, and I feel more able to have a nice little chat with her as I am not frustrated with trying to call her.

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi Pear trees
    I'm glad you've found what works for you - it's important that you are not stressed so can enjoy your visits - we want to keep in touch but phone calls certainly became a problem for dad at one point and it wasn't worth bothering him and worrying me more

your SIL sounds like a star, it must be a relief and comfort to you both that you work so well as a team :)

3. fizzie

fizzie Registered User

Jul 20, 2011
    my mum was so confused with the phone - i think it panicked her and then everything got 10 times worse and so in the end we took it out - it became more distressing than not having one and it wouldn't have been any use to her anyway
    lovely to have family and that you are all working together xxx

4. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Mum reached a stage where she couldnt use the phone either. Even if someone dialed it for her it became obvious that she was just talking into the phone, rather than to me. I think she forgot what the phone was for. Talking face to face worked much better.
    Im glad you and your sister are working together, so often on here siblings just dont want to know.