Something that made me smile ...

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
In among the sea of sadness that has been clearing my parents house there was a little flash of humour today, bizarrely (and unintentionally on her part) from my mother...

I finally finished cleaning the house this morning - I went in to see that the house clearance people had indeed done their job without fuss and very little mess, so there wasn't much for me to tidy. I hoovered all the rooms and wiped over all the windowsills etc to make sure it was clean(ish).

It was quite emotional - I took some photos, particularly the view from what had been my bedroom window as I used to sit and gaze out of it for hour after hour, as a child - it's nothing spectacular but looks over the neighbouring streets, and onwards to a common and there was always something happening. I used to particularly like it when the fairground was on the common and I could see all the lights at night ...

...anyway, I digress (my speciality):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I haven't overloaded mum with too much information as she finds it hard to take in, and difficult to cope with. I told her that as of tomorrow the house is sold and the money will be deposited in hers and dads bank accounts (50/50)

I told her how much her half of the proceeds would be - I thought I would tell her, just the once. Suffice to say that she is relatively wealthy (although not on a premier league footballer level) and really wont have to worry about money.

Her reply?

"Maybe I should buy a new radio then..."

It really did make me smile after a traumatic morning
:):):):)

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Oh bless her, a new radio. So simple and so inexpensive even she could have chosen something extravagant. It just shows how generations have changed, my children's generation would blow the lot and wonder where it had gone.

I'm sorry you've had to clear the house but your bedroom and your memories sound fab, the memories you'll keep forever.

I hope you are feeling ok this evening and glad mum made you smile,

Sharon x

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Oh bless her, a new radio. So simple and so inexpensive even she could have chosen something extravagant. It just shows how generations have changed, my children's generation would blow the lot and wonder where it had gone.

I'm sorry you've had to clear the house but your bedroom and your memories sound fab, the memories you'll keep forever.

I hope you are feeling ok this evening and glad mum made you smile,

Sharon x

I'm doing ok - thank you! I did wander round the house a bit aimlessly before I finally locked up and handing the keys to the estate agent was a bit of a wrench but ... yes. Its ok now.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
That made me smile too.

You have now completed a massive thing and in recounting you spending hours at the window as a child, it brought back memories of me doing the same. I hope it doesnt sound condescending when i say "well done".

Love

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
This was my unremarkable but much loved bedroom window view ... a little slice of suburbia and I'll never forget the happy hours I spent people watching from here :)

Just behind the slightly taller tree (which you can see sticking up above the treeline) there's a local park and clock tower. I used to hear the clock chiming on warm summer nights when the wind was in the right direction ... sweeping round to the right about a third of the way across is the common which you cant see behind the trees. As well as the fairground in the summer, in the winter there was a demon of a slope which brother and I used to sledge down.

I thought I was being a bit maudlin today wandering around an empty house (it didn't SEEM empty) but I'm so, so glad I took this photo to remind me of happy days
:D

Attachments

• 20130905_105112 (640x480).jpg
    20130905_105112 (640x480).jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 473

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
That's a much nicer view than the one from my window as a child. I looked over a back alley and into other people's gardens!!!

I remember visiting my grandparents house for the last time. The were both in a home and I took my boys on their first sea side holiday to the house they used to live in. Mum and dad were already there as they were in the process of clearing it out. It was a 3 storey town house and the front bedroom at the very top of the house was mine, had been every holiday since I was born.

It was really strange when we left, knowing that was my last ever holiday there. I'm glad I took the boys, they thought it was great that great grandma by the seaside had 2 houses!!! It's the memories isn't it, the smell and daft things like now I can still recall the exact picture on the wall on the first landing, what my Grandparents bedroom was like, where the furniture sat and the order the Hilda Ogdon ducks went in as they flew down the wall on the stairs.

Hold on to the memories, I think I'd very much have liked to have sat in your window as a child as opposed to mine.

X

wheelieb

Sep 6, 2013
Newport, South Wales
In among the sea of sadness that has been clearing my parents house there was a little flash of humour today, bizarrely (and unintentionally on her part) from my mother...

I finally finished cleaning the house this morning - I went in to see that the house clearance people had indeed done their job without fuss and very little mess, so there wasn't much for me to tidy. I hoovered all the rooms and wiped over all the windowsills etc to make sure it was clean(ish).

It was quite emotional - I took some photos, particularly the view from what had been my bedroom window as I used to sit and gaze out of it for hour after hour, as a child - it's nothing spectacular but looks over the neighbouring streets, and onwards to a common and there was always something happening. I used to particularly like it when the fairground was on the common and I could see all the lights at night ...

...anyway, I digress (my speciality):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I haven't overloaded mum with too much information as she finds it hard to take in, and difficult to cope with. I told her that as of tomorrow the house is sold and the money will be deposited in hers and dads bank accounts (50/50)

I told her how much her half of the proceeds would be - I thought I would tell her, just the once. Suffice to say that she is relatively wealthy (although not on a premier league footballer level) and really wont have to worry about money.

Her reply?

"Maybe I should buy a new radio then..."

It really did make me smile after a traumatic morning
:):):):)

It just goes to show that even in the saddest times, you can find something to smile about. Hope you are ok after completing a mammoth task (((hugs))) xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janet1980