some advice please

alfie1112

Mar 5, 2018
Hi all i am new to this forum and i could do with some advice please.
About 7 months ago i noticed i was having some problems with my memory, my wife also noticed so i went to my gp and had blood tests, he also done a mmse test which i struggled with. Next step was a ct scan which showed up " early medial temporal atrophy". i was refered to the memory clinic i met a occupational therapist for a assessment at home and i had a physical examination with the consultant at the clinic.

He sent me for more blood tests a Neuropsychology assessment and a MRI scan ( which is at the end of march) The report from the consultant Neuropyschologist stated that i have significant deterioration of my cognitive abilities and that i have probable Alzheimers disease, He also suggests i have a driving assessment, a functional assessment to see if i can still work.

This is where i need some advice, i met the consultant at the memory clinic last week and he said because sometimes i know when to avoid conversations in case i forget words or sentensces, he wont give it a name at the moment and he dosent want to see me for 6-9 months.It had been realy hard not knowing for the past 7 months now i got to wait for another 6 months.Not sure what to do next.
one consultant said i dont have anixiety the one in the memory clinic says i do have anixiety.i think all this waiting dosent help any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
alfie

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @alfie1112

My husband had to wait a year before he was sent for a CT scan and before then he was tested for anything else and treated for depression.

It seems all avenues are explored perhaps because doctors don't want to make a wrong diagnosis. I know how hard this uncertainty is to live with but I`m also sure you would hate to be diagnosed incorrectly.

The fact you are getting different opinions shows how difficult an accurate diagnosis is.

I know this will not help ease your concerns and if you can live life to the full as much as possible while you are waiting It might stand you in good stead.

While you are waiting, could you keep a diary of good days and bad days, how you felt and what went well or badly. This could be of great help to the doctors and will give you something constructive to do for yourself.

Keep posting here and let us know how you are getting on.

alfie1112

Mar 5, 2018
thanks for your reply
i should have mentioned i am 48 years old mabey that is why they are unsure.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @alfie1112, I would echo what Grannie G has told you. It took just over 2 years for my wife to move from the start of investigations to a diagnosis.
I can't stress enough that you should live as normally as possible and try not to get too stressed while you go through the process. My wife got very stressed/depressed about her diagnosis, however, the truth is that our lives are better in many ways than before the investigations started. Why? Well yes, she is now on appropriate meds and now knows what the problem is and can adapt to her new self. However, the meds don't cure the problem, they just arrest the progression - it's the personal reaction to the situation that, in my opinion, brings the best results.
Don't despair, you can live well with, or without, dementia.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Hi all i am new to this forum and i could do with some advice please.
About 7 months ago i noticed i was having some problems with my memory, my wife also noticed so i went to my gp and had blood tests, he also done a mmse test which i struggled with. Next step was a ct scan which showed up " early medial temporal atrophy". i was refered to the memory clinic i met a occupational therapist for a assessment at home and i had a physical examination with the consultant at the clinic.

He sent me for more blood tests a Neuropsychology assessment and a MRI scan ( which is at the end of march) The report from the consultant Neuropyschologist stated that i have significant deterioration of my cognitive abilities and that i have probable Alzheimers disease, He also suggests i have a driving assessment, a functional assessment to see if i can still work.

This is where i need some advice, i met the consultant at the memory clinic last week and he said because sometimes i know when to avoid conversations in case i forget words or sentensces, he wont give it a name at the moment and he dosent want to see me for 6-9 months.It had been realy hard not knowing for the past 7 months now i got to wait for another 6 months.Not sure what to do next.
one consultant said i dont have anixiety the one in the memory clinic says i do have anixiety.i think all this waiting dosent help any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
alfie
I know and understand the agony of waiting. The consultants when they have all the evidence they need will give your problems a title. For me it was multi infarct dementia.
You know the problems you have however and what they are doing to your life. The best thing is for you and your family to work with that, get used to the new normal, and the ones which follow and work out how to make the most of life.
I was recommended to have a driving assessment, but knew how dangerous me being on the road was, me and others and largely stopped driving. It was quite a relief when DVLA said 'no more'.
Good luck in your memory problems journey. Keep in touch with us and lets give them a run

Danny84

Jan 30, 2018
I know how you feel in regards to waiting. My father has just started on this long journey, we have recently been to the memory clinic for the first time. He has done all the paper tests and now awaiting to hear if he will have a CT scan.

He has already had the blood tests and ECG so it's just a matter of waiting. They did tell me we would have to wait around 8 week for CT scan and possibly 6 months for next appointment at memory clinic.

If you are concerned or worried I would speak to the GP again. It's always best to talk about these things than worry and suffer in silence. I hope you get sorted sooner rather than later but I do understand the waiting and not knowing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5