My parents are currently in respite care in a lovely assisted living / CH and I want to make this a permanent arrangement. Both Mum and Dad have Alzheimers at a similar stage. They were at home with a care package until June when my Dad was in hospital for a month with a UTI and everything went downhill with their AZ and general health. I have been asking Social Services - via their Social Worker - to do a needs assessment / mental capacity assessment / best interests assessment since June. If I'm going to make a permanent residential arrangement for them, sell their house to fund etc I feel that I need some professional back up and opinion to say that I'm doing the right thing. Particularly as my parents if asked believe they are fine, no problem and keep telling me 'they are going home tomorrow'. This is because their AZ means they have no real understanding of their care needs or where they are really - depending on the day they think they are on a Cruise Ship, in a hotel, pub or hospital. They generally believe they have only arrived that day even though they have been there 8 weeks. I know in my heart of hearts that they cannot cope any longer at home - and home is 3 hours away from me so they would have no family support (I am an only child) but it's very hard to hear them planning to go home all the time and feeling I'm doing this against their wishes . I feel I need some support from SS to reassure me that I am doing the right thing for them and acting in their best interests. So the problem is that Social Services are making every excuse not to do any form of assessment. The Social Worker is very happy to talk to me on the phone about it at length and is verbally very reassuring but I have had every excuse not to do a documented assessment. They say it is my decision because I have POA. They think my actions are reasonable. They can't decide whether it should be their short term or long term social worker team that should deal with the case so are passing me from pillar to post. They are not sure which type of assessment would be best etc etc It's been going on and on and I feel I need to make a decision for my parents. I am getting very cross with SS. Am I being unreasonable? I just need something from them to say 'yes you are doing the right thing' based on their objective assessment of my parents needs . I thought they were duty bound to do an assessment but it's like talking to a brick wall. Perhaps if I said I was taking my parents home and leaving them there they would have to do something. Sorry for the rant but has anyone had a similar experience or any advice on how I can get SS to validate or support my decision?