Social service assessment

susanh13

Oct 23, 2013
My mum has been self funding her care for last 3 years with a live in carer as she is non mobile or weight bearing and has late stage dementia. Her speech is not understandable and needs a lot of prompting to eat and drink and takes a long time to eat and toileting. Now her money is running low. Below the max threshold. Have had a care assessment done by social services and they recon only needs 4 short visits a day and no overnight carer. Has anyone appealed against a council's allocation? It's a stressing time they are causing me.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hell susanh

It is highly unlikely Social Services will fund overnight care on a regular basis. They may provide it in emergency situations by offering residential respite care but certainly not long term.

I`m sorry to say you are very unlikely to get the same number of hours of funded care that you arranged by self funding.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Have you had an assessment for CHC funding? have a look at threads on here about it but I would request an assessment for it at the very least as it is possible it might give you more hours but others will know more