So what happens at the memory clinic?

tgisue

Apr 20, 2019
Hello all

Following my previous post about his reluctance to go, I am going with my dad on Wednesday to the memory clinic. He decided he needs a diagnosis one way or the other.

Can anyone tell me if we will be given the likelihood of a diagnosis at the end of the appointment, or will that come after a brain scan?

Just wanted to have an idea of what to expect.

Many thanks

Sue

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Our consultant did a test, spoke to John on his own, spoke to me on my own, arranged a brain scan, after that we went back to see her and she showed us the shrinkage. At that stage he had mild Alz probably stage 4 and is now at the end of stage 6. The diagnosis was 7 years ago.

At some stage when they have done all they can they will ask if you wish to be discharged. I asked not to be discharged and continued to go every 6 months or so until the end of last year. I wanted all the info going and that John was a patient and not just a passing name on a file. We built up a good relationship with the consultant.

John is now much less mobile and dragging him to clinics is not making a lot of sense nowadays.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I doubt you will get a diagnosis straight away. Most likely the consultant will speak to you both and ask for symptoms plus do a memory test. He should then organise a brain scan and call you in again when the results come in.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I think it must vary. My mother was diagnosed with dementia (but not which type) before the MRI. She had several visits and the verdict was either sent in a letter shortly afterwards, or by the doctor ringing me. I don't think anything was said at the actual visit. For the last 18 months she was at home, the CPN did a home visit every 3 months. But that was just how that particular clinic worked, others may be different.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Hello all

Following my previous post about his reluctance to go, I am going with my dad on Wednesday to the memory clinic. He decided he needs a diagnosis one way or the other.

Can anyone tell me if we will be given the likelihood of a diagnosis at the end of the appointment, or will that come after a brain scan?

Just wanted to have an idea of what to expect.

Many thanks

Sue
Our experience was totally different from @marionq. OH had a brain scan when in a different hospital with a life threatening illness - they did not tell me they were doing the scan. He was dying, but eventually recovered after major surgery.
The scan was sent to the main hospital in a different county, and I was surprised when I saw it at the Memory Clinic - I did not know they had it. They pointed out to us the damage in his brain, which was considerable - he was not interested at all.
The consultant just said he would give us a couple of weeks to 'take it all in' and we would get a follow up appt at the local hospital.
I thought that was rather abrupt and did not explain anything, but imagined that the local hospital would explain more.
We turned up there - again OH not interested - and did not see anyone medical, but a very nice Alzheimer's Socy lady who gave us some leaflets, and that was that.
Fortunately the leaflets gave this website - otherwise I would have been up a creek without a paddle.
We have had no further appts, there is no follow on, no monitoring - it's all down the the GP now.
and that's another story.......... but DO ask questions, and stay on here.