So, what’s my Pauline been up to today?

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
And how are you @Agzy?
All the better for sending you Birthday greetings, thank you. I still struggle but with my own heath issues, especially coping with only one viable lung but hoping spinal MRI on Friday will give some answers. As for caring, and like so many of us, we plod on up hill and down dale with occasional oasis of calm - like now 😊 enjoy your day x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I do hope you will be able to get your own health issues sorted @Agzy.
They are serious and I don't know how you cope.

I only had breathing problems caused by a virus infection and was exhausted. I`m OK now but for you, yours is ongoing and full time caring is exhausting in itself.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
After a ‘good mood’ morning and then, just after 8 o'clock it started, “I hate Thursdays. It’s ok for you it’s me that has to go there, I hate that place.” I tried diversions and happy chatting but resorted to silence and Sudoku so now she sleeps and I wait for what is sure to follow. As I have been contacted by our local hospital about possible admission it becomes more important to me that care, wherever it may be, is set up but her reactions to Daycare don’t bode well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
As I have been contacted by our local hospital about possible admission it becomes more important to me that care, wherever it may be, is set up

It`s possible Pauline will be shocked into realising there is no alternative.

This sounds cruel I know but there will be no alternative and I wouldn`t be surprised if she is able to rise to the occasion.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thank you @Grannie G and, as expected, collecting her from the daycare facility was, to say the least, stormy! I was told by staff that she had a great time and had been singing her head off and yet Pauline denies there was any singing and insists all they do is sit around in chairs just talking. From collecting her to bedtime she was either chunnering about how she hates it there or just ignoring me and so long drawn out silences which, although forgotten by her this morning, leave me exhausted and thinking , “is it worth it?”

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hello @Agzy you really do need a proper break from all of this. I don’t know how, but something needs to happen ( and I don’t mean your own planned possible hospital admission). To be honest, if a respite care for a week was put in place, Pauline’s reaction probably wouldn’t be much different to what you are suffering now, and a week would be definitely worth the aggro.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hello @Agzy you really do need a proper break from all of this. I don’t know how, but something needs to happen ( and I don’t mean your own planned possible hospital admission). To be honest, if a respite care for a week was put in place, Pauline’s reaction probably wouldn’t be much different to what you are suffering now, and a week would be definitely worth the aggro.
Thank you. Once the reason for my lung diaphragm paralysis is found and hopefully sorted I dream of returning to Canada for final swansong visit to relatives there and yes, a carehome respite time will have to happen. Fingers crossed as I have the MRI on Monday.

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Thank you. Once the reason for my lung diaphragm paralysis is found and hopefully sorted I dream of returning to Canada for final swansong visit to relatives there and yes, a carehome respite time will have to happen. Fingers crossed as I have the MRI on Monday.
I have everything crossed for you on Monday @Agzy It’s dreams like yours to Canada that keep you going. I recently read a lovely book by the vet Bruce Fogle of his childhood in Canada. It sounded idyllic.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
good luck, hope the results are better than you hoped. my son is moving to canada with his family in the summer, his wife is canadian.
I have a grandson, a HGV driver, who’s dream was to be a cross continental trucker and so got a job based in Saskatoon driving massive artics down to LA and back but sadly all a bit of a con and he couldn’t afford to live on what he earned never mind taking his wife and 3 kids there. So now he is back here and bitterly disappointed as he loved the country.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
A toppsey Turvy start to the morning as, just as I exited the shower, in she came and very distressed as she had had a very messy accident which took a while to sort and then clean the toilet, the floor and of course her. Now it might be coincidence but following a tip on here I have been putting just one Diarrhoea relief tablet in her morning meds every other day and all has been well but yesterday I forgot it and this morning appear to have paid the price. Consequently my whole morning routine of skin treatment, laundry and breakfast has been disrupted and yet here we are at 08.10 sitting quietly listening to Boom Light radio while she does her WordSearch and I tap away on my ipad. Here’s to a good day 😜

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
A toppsey Turvy start to the morning as, just as I exited the shower, in she came and very distressed as she had had a very messy accident which took a while to sort and then clean the toilet, the floor and of course her. Now it might be coincidence but following a tip on here I have been putting just one Diarrhoea relief tablet in her morning meds every other day and all has been well but yesterday I forgot it and this morning appear to have paid the price. Consequently my whole morning routine of skin treatment, laundry and breakfast has been disrupted and yet here we are at 08.10 sitting quietly listening to Boom Light radio while she does her WordSearch and I tap away on my ipad. Here’s to a good day 😜
Thanks for the tip about diarrhoea relief med. My OH has 3-4 bowel visits daily. Might try it and hope he doesn't get constipated.
oh the joys🙂
Thanks

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Thanks for the tip about diarrhoea relief med. My OH has 3-4 bowel visits daily. Might try it and hope he doesn't get constipated.
oh the joys🙂
Thanks
Haha, still experimenting but yesterday at same time she sat on the loo and I asked had she done a poo and she said she thought so and so I wiped her and seemed clean but when i went to flush the evidence was there quite firmly if you get my meaning. Todays mess seems to be related to me not adding the pill but can't do much harm to keep trying it 😀

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Things have been so ordinary as to feel a bit weird and extraordinary. Aa there is a special Dementia showing of the film Easter Parade at our local Light Cinema to day I am taking her there rather than daycare and maybe the knowledge has made her happier, I don’t know but I have tried to explain that it is just because of the holiday weekend and back to normal next week but not getting any engagement from her on it. Just hope the weekend goes well.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
It is 08.26 as I start this and I have been up since 5.45. Ok, the early start is my choice but more often than not I manage to clear the bathroom before Pauline gets up; not always and certainly not this morning. Teeth done and shave started when door burst open and yes, it is everywhere as, in spite of my pleadings she refused pull-ups last night and so wore knickers which are off course now in the bin. Such was the mess she wouldn’t sit on the toilet and so all the wiping and cleaning needed to be done by me trying to manoeuvre around her or get her to turn around - not easy in our cramped bathroom. If this was a championship it would be a silver standard as I can only remember one that was worse! Since all this I managed my shave and shower but only after giving her a shower, drying her, helping her to dress and settling her in front of TV have given her meds and breakfast. Once I was sorted; remembering I have to do all over skin emmolient, do facial excersise for Bells Palsy and breathing excersise for paralysed lung function as well, I got the washing machine powered up and chunking away and sorted all meds into blister packs for the next week. Now for a cup of tea ☕️ 😊

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
A well earned cuppa @Agzy
As you know, unfortunately, this is and will be recurring.
Wishing you strength. An arm round your shoulder, mate!
(This is why I now get carers in at start and end of the day.)

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh @Agzy 😢😢

As a generation or two younger than you I hang my head in shame that in our country someone of your age and health is doing this….out of choice or not…..you should be having some help….and if Pauline won’t easily accept it…that is too the issue for others and not just on ur shoulders…

I would be jumping up and down in anger and upset if u were my Dad 😢😢

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Amazing roller coaster ride this caring lark and after the trauma and upset (hers) of this morning off we went to our Tuesday Group which was holding an Easter Tea and Cake morning that turned out to be brilliant and cheered us up no end. I was in two minds about taking her but on the basis ‘it is all about dementia’ and therefore understanding I took her presuming we wouldn‘t stay long. Well she loved the china cups and teapots, wouldn’t eat the cake, was amazing at Wordsearch challenge and really artistic making her Easter bonnet. The total inclusivity od this group lifts my heart and always cheers me up. Makes this morning almost forgetful 😝.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1831.jpeg
    IMG_1831.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1835.jpeg
    IMG_1835.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 82