So, here we are.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
We always put a wrapped up hot water bottle underneath the blankets too, with the clock.
It's probably a bit more traumatic for him arriving in the evening as he has had less time to get used to you. However, the first night or two are often a bit upsetting for puppies but then they usually settle down.

We've always used newspaper near the bed to start with and then gradually move it nearer to the back door and then out. He'll soon learn - much quicker than humans!

I hope you've managed some sleep! :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
He settled back down after an hour or so, and I haven't heard a peep since! I'm getting up now to let him out.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh bless him, what a good boy!

A very good boy! I had let him out to go to the loo at about 2 a.m. when he was crying, and he hadn't gone since until I let him out now at 6! peed, ate his breakfast, and then back out to poop, and is now dozing on his blanket in the kitchen, although his eyes are sleepily fixed on me.

The Spca must have found out more about them, because the officer was here yesterday to do the forms, and said they now know the father was a purebred border collie, and the mother was a lurcher. The offspring all have border collie colouring (although some have much more white), but they have legs like giraffes!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
An interesting mix! Will need lots of exercise as he gets older come rain, shine, snow or gales!! Has he had all his vaccinations yet or do you still have to keep him away from other dogs for the time being? I hope he grows out of the middle-of-the-night wee outing, my last dog never did..... xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
An interesting mix! Will need lots of exercise as he gets older come rain, shine, snow or gales!! Has he had all his vaccinations yet or do you still have to keep him away from other dogs for the time being? I hope he grows out of the middle-of-the-night wee outing, my last dog never did..... xxxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

He's had everything except kennel cough, which I think he needs before going to puppy training school. And there was a mix-up about micro-chipping, so he hasn't been done yet. The spca dogs are usually done before going to new homes, so the spca officer said if I bring him in to the vet (I use the same vet they do), to tell them to put it on the spca account, or if I'd prefer, they will get one of their team to collect him and bring him. I'll just take him in myself. She thinks the mix up happened because they weren't quite old enough for micro-chipping when they were in for their vaccinations.

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France
Hi Lady A
I think Bowie is a lovely looking pup!
I waiting to move so can get a small dog for Princess she misses our Cookie so much!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hi Lady A
I think Bowie is a lovely looking pup!
I waiting to move so can get a small dog for Princess she misses our Cookie so much!

Thank you. He's doing well so far. Lot of work, puppies! Watching him like a hawk for signs of needing to go to the toilet! He seems to be a very laid back type - let's hope he stays that way! Small dog. Yes. Bowie will not be small. He has legs like a giraffe!

When it comes to getting a dog for your Princess though - the Animal Rescue places always have lots, and often even have beautiful pedigree dogs looking for homes!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Thank you. He's doing well so far. Lot of work, puppies! Watching him like a hawk for signs of needing to go to the toilet! He seems to be a very laid back type - let's hope he stays that way!

A useful trick is to teach Bowie to pee on command, I have always taken my puppies outside every 2 hours during the daytime and said quick, quick until the puppy pees and then made a big fuss of them as soon as they have been, it took Taz 2 weeks to understand.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
He is so cute, LadyA. You will soon no longer be able to remember life without him and he will be such company as he grows (protection too, if needed). A friend who has just lost her husband has recently become the reluctant recipient of a kitten (also black and white) thanks to the machinations of her daughter. Apparently for a trial period, ha ha! It is so lovely to hear a smile in her voice again when she is relating her (the kitten's) exploits. She is totally relaxing my friend by making her sit for a while as, of course, she can't be moved while asleep on her lap, and, though obviously not filling the gaping hole in her life, is bringing her pleasure, companionship and a purpose to getting up in the mornings. I'm sure Bowie will do the same for you too.xx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Aww he is a good boy.
we also had a tshirt each of ours we had worn in Olives bed , so she had our smell, a night light plugged in and a ticking clock . We had set times for alarm to take her out (OH did it) and gradually increased the times between them.
She taught us if she put her front paws on our first stairs step she wanted to go out, lol.
She still stands by the door, but it's now to go bark at something she heard or to wander garden . She likes to toilet in the forest now.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Aww Lady A, what a beauty Bowie is. :):):) Collie/lurcher cross sounds like WAY too much fun.:D:D:D

A friend of mine has a collie/lurcher cross and he has legs long enough and agile enough to get over a six foot fence!

Bowie has that collie look, identified for me in my own dog by a TP member, that is saying, 'Hmm, I wonder what mischief I can get up to today....'

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Another useful tip...

The word FREEZE when you want him to immediately stop saves on the running away and not being willing to be caught

Our word changed to CHEESE as knowing he would get a morsel of cheese was the only thing that would stop our dog :D :D :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A useful trick is to teach Bowie to pee on command, I have always taken my puppies outside every 2 hours during the daytime and said quick, quick until the puppy pees and then made a big fuss of them as soon as they have been, it took Taz 2 weeks to understand.

We must all be in a rush as Saffie responds to "Hurry up!":)
As we were retired when we had her from a puppy, it was easy to train her and retrievers are usually pretty easy to train anyway but when we had previous dogs, it wasn't possible to take them out every couple of hours but the paper worked well when they were little.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
2jays...cheese :D

Oh yes , you can get puppy pads, we still have some. They're supposed to use it for going to for toileting indoors. Olive shredded it and toileted beside it:rolleyes:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Already have the dog licence, HB!
So far, we've got a collar on with id tag, without any trauma other than a couple of scratches at it. All poops and all except one pee have been done outside. He cries for a while when put in his crate and left, but was quite settled in there when I got back from the shop about an hour later.