So cold yet room is over 80 degrees.

Raffles

Nov 8, 2008
North Wales
My husband with AD complains of being cold he sweats, so smells and says he feels dizzy. Yet the temperature in the room is over 80 degrees and I just want to put the fan on or open the door. He shouts at me if I do and goes and puts yet more clothes on. I feel giddy and exhausted with the heat but of course he doesn't understand that. How can he be cold ? He has just gone to bed and insists on a winter duvet which he pulls right up over his ears. I will have an awful job getting him to wash in the morning so he doesn't smell again. Does anyone else have this problem with people with AD ?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think this is, if not common, not unusual. And it something to be concerned about really: people with dementia sometimes fail to recognize the signals their body is giving them and there is a real danger of hyperthermia. Mind you, I think all you can do is try and ensure he remains hydrated and be aware of the symptoms of health endangering overheating, because he's not going to cooperate with you in trying to cool him off.

Heat stroke occurs when someone’s body temperature increases significantly (generally above 104 degrees Fahrenheit) and has symptoms such as mental status changes (like confusion or combativeness), strong rapid pulse, lack of sweating, dry flushed skin, faintness, staggering, or coma.

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/jun2012/nia-27.htm

annied55

Dec 11, 2011
manchester
My OH very similar. I open doors and windows. He closes them. When he is not looking I open them again. Usually he has forgotten. He wraps himself up in the duvet like a mummy!! He is happy for me to uncover his legs but says his head is wet and cold. (hot and sweaty) I say things like Its really hot I dont want this duvet on me and hope he copies me. Just need to keep the fluid intake up cos he doesnt realise he is thirsty, I am his memory..
Next problem is that he has taken a huge dislike to daycare and I need a plan B. any ideas?? xxxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I remember my husband sitting outside in a heatwave, wearing a fleece. It really is a mystery and very worrying to monitor.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
just been looking at this thread and found it interesting I have dementia and I also notice that my wife and friends will say there hot and sweating when at the same time I’m not when I say I’m not my legs and arms feel cool I put it down to my blood pressure medication but its certainly odd

scared daughter

Account Closed
May 3, 2010
Yes very odd, my mum has alzhiemers, just been admitted to a nursing home straight from hospital (she fell and broke/chopped a bone)

In the hospital is was horrific so hot and stuffy, mum would not let us use the fan provided as she was in her words freezing...............and she actually was that's the thing. I felt her arm and she was cold.

I have taken so many clothes for her into her at the home and she is wearing winter clothes really odd xx

Pheath

Dec 31, 2009
UK
Indeed bizarre... A man at my dad’s CH yesterday was complaining he was cold. It was such a hot day and his wife had to find him a blanket. As Jen says, must be a failure to recognise bodily signals. Can see it must be incredibly hard having to keep your husband clean to minimise sweating if he’s not co-operative. Do hope temps drop a bit in days to come. I really do feel for all the carers out there right now - it’s hard, hot work.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This document outlines the danger to vulnerable people in the current heatwave and what precautions to take.

Attachments

• 9543-TSO-2901033-Heatwave_-_Supporting_Vulnerable_People_HSCP_Accessible.pdf
    264.3 KB · Views: 612

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
My mum is the same

Hi all,

My mum is exactly the same. I felt relieved it was the summer because no sun downing whey hey.

But now we have a constant battle, I open the windows, mum closes them, I hide all the blankets, mum finds them, I remove all coats in sight and lock them in a wardrobe, mum comes down in 2 jumpers still complaining she is cold!!

The thing is she doesn't feel hot. I was thinking it was just an inability to recognise that it is hot but I sometimes actually think she is cold! I keep saying oh no it's 90 out there!!

But she says she's freezing! The poor cat keeps getting locked in a bedroom that has windows closed and doors closed. Then because the cat keeps going out all day to stay cool and not mithered, she is crying inconsolably because she thinks she's lost him!

Sarah xx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
annied55

I know hubby hates it but he needs to go for your sake. They often dislike it but he needs to go anyway. Well I think so ...

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
Dad wants windows shut and doors shut. Managed to persuade him to wear a short sleeved cotton shirt, but he's now put on a jumper as well. He's been very good at drinking fluids recently, but since the hot weather's arrived I'm having to really encourage him to drink :confused: