Smell of Urine in Care Homes

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I agree that this should be the exception and short-lived. Accidents do happen but should be cleaned up straightaway. Urine and other unpleasant smells have not been noticeable in the 4.5 years that my wife has been in her home.

jimkd

Nov 28, 2023
Hello All, There has been lots of comments recently about urine smells in care homes. I know it is not necessary to have more than an occasional, passing whiff!! I have been visiting my mother regularly for a year, in a nursing home, in a unit with 14 others. There have been very occasional whiffs which is not pleasant but nothing more.

My grandson aged 8 visits both of his great grandmothers in different homes. Of Nanny X who lives in a different county he says "it always stinks there" of my mothers home he said "it doesn,t stink there in fact some times it smells really nice. I like going there" This to me shows how important the whole matter is!

This should be one of the factors considered when choosing a care home as it seems to reflect the quality of care provided.:)

jimkd

Nov 28, 2023
I think it is a factor that care home inspections take into account. My mothers care home seems to go out of its way to avoid visitors smelling smells and seems to fix problems that don't seem to need fixing to avoid it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozziegirl