Sleepless In Torquay

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Sleepless

In

Torquay

As I awoke my head was aching and all was not well. I raised myself up from the bed and walked past the 2nd bedroom. The door was ajar and all become a little clearer. The bed wasn't made and the pillow was hanging from the bed. I knew then that it had probably been a bad night. It was clear that my “Angel” my saviour” had tried to get some sleep during the night in what’s now become known as the “Respite Room” but when I awoke she was in bed, asleep with me, so I presumed it wasn’t a very successful attempt. As Elaine walked in the front room a short while after, I was proved right as she explained to me how I had been shouting/cursing, kicking out and fighting most of the night! Not to mention the snoring as for short bursts I fell into a deeper sleep than normal, this is Lewy Body’s Dementia at its worst!!

How do you come back from this on a day to day basis? How do you function when every bone in your body aches and you feel drunk because of the lack of sleep!! Dementia doesn't sleep! My GOD I wish it did. Why is this type of disease so cruel that it always affects the nighttime’s worse, therefore depriving the “WALKING LIVING ANGELS” on this earth (All Carers) of much needed sleep and rejuvenation?? Something has to give, and usually does. Tempers flare, niggles are rife between loved ones and silent episodes between spouses and loved ones seem to last longer and longer as time goes on and this illness progresses.

This is the reality of this awful disease, this is real life. WE (those with dementia who are able) could sit here and feel sorry for ourselves all day, buy why?? Why should we??? What we go through is only a TENTH of what our loved ones go through day after day, week in week out , sometimes without a break and that all important friendly word, cup of coffee and a chat, just to unload the days troubles to someone else!! That is why we must start to talk about this disease that is why we must stand up and be counted, ALL OF US!! Together as one, we must show the world that we will no longer put up with the Stigma that surrounds this disease, we must drag it KICKING AND SCREAMING into the 21st century!!!

On Sept 21st 2013 its the third World Dementia Awareness Day, or DAD day as we love to call it. It also, for the one and only time Coincides with World Alzheimer’s week/month

WILL YOU STAND UP AND MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE?

WILL YOU HOLD AN EVENT NO MATTER HOW SMALL?

Please join us on this day to show the world we are not frightened to TALK about this disease anymore! We are not “Worried” about what others “think” and together, we can, one day BEAT this disease!!

If you, or anybody you know, is holding, or will hold an event for this very special day, please write to my wonderful hard working friends, Lynnette Richards and Jeff Talbot know on http://www.purpleangel.org.uk/contact.htm

We want to try and make a world map of all events happening. For all of you who are in The UK please remember there is a just Giving page already set up for your donations and fundraising efforts and this year’s chosen Charity will be Alzheimer’s Research UK.

In January I quoted that we should make this year the year “THE WORLD LISTENS” with your help, that’s just what we will do!!

Thank you so much, Norrms Mc Namara. Diagnosed with dementia 5 years ago and still fighting it!!!