Sleeping all the time

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by lis66, Feb 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    Please can anyone advise me ,my mum has Alzheimer's for six years ,and is now sleeping all the time,she eats her meals,and then just wants to go to bed example six pm at night till eleven am next day and I have to coax her to get up

2. Sarahjane1967

Sarahjane1967 Registered User

Dec 17, 2015
    My Mum has been very reluctant to get up of late and is going to bed earlier in the evenings. Her appetite is also reduced yet before Christmas she was eating very well and staying up until 10-11pm most evenings. I am taking her to drs on Monday. Mum did have a UTI just after new year and hasn’t seemed herself since so I wonder if that has anything to do with it? Or is this a normal progression? If you get any advice please share it with me.

3. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    Sleeping a lot is very common.

The brain gets tired from the exertion of trying to cope with the confusion of everyday life and age and medication probably also play a part. This is above and beyond any sudden change that may be brought on by an infection(which should always be checked first).

My wife would sleep all day if I let her.

4. Starter

Starter Registered User

Oct 10, 2015
    My mum has slept a lot since her diagnosis three years ago. At first I took her for lots of blood tests but finally realised that this is how she copes. She sleeps most of the day and night and when she is up she doesn’t move from her chair. But she is happy and feels safe x

5. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    Thanks for your reply starter it does break my heart seeing mum like this and wanting to go to bed all the time ,and when awake barley talks

6. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    I think you are right this is how they cope ,

7. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015

8. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    Thanks for your reply , Pete so hard and sad to watch I think mum feels safe in bed or as another had posted it's how they cope

9. Joy1960

Joy1960 Registered User

Oct 29, 2018
    Hi,
    I posted a thread on here few days ago about my mum having very sleepy days.
    She has a day a week which if she's left would spend all day in bed.
    I try and get her up for a change of scenery but she can be quite nasty with whoever is doing the rousing..even me.(she's generally quite placid esp to me).
    She can fall asleep brushing her her hair ,eating her food,mid conversation etc.
    In mums case, the next day she's back to her 'normal 'self and has no recollection of the sleepiness.
    She is in Chronic heart failure but I'm not sure if this is part of that prob or the Alzheimer's?
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Thankyou

10. Ohso

Ohso Registered User

Jan 4, 2018
    My mum has been the same since around November ( officially diagnosed Alzheimers last June)
    She too has had multiple blood tests and GP visit and referral to Elderly care, to check her over, it doesnt appear to be related to anything specific, so just seems to be a combination of weariness boredom and an underlying feeling of safety when snuggled up in bed, and now the drs have ruled out anything l feel able to just take each day as it comes and let mum set the pace for getting up or just staying in bed,sometimes sleeping, sometimes listening to the radio and dozing.

11. Sahsah

Sahsah New member

Nov 12, 2018
    I can sympathise - my dad has just started behaving in a similar way. Not sure what the answer is and whilst I can't give you any medical explanation I feel a bit more reassured that this isn't just happening to us. Hopefully hearing that others have the same experience makes you mums behaviour a little less alarming.

12. Fullticket

Fullticket Registered User

Apr 19, 2016
    Chard, Somerset
    I've not posted for ages but have been reading your posts and can identify with so much you say. Mum would stay in bed all day every day given the opportunity. We eventually 'allowed' this at weekends providing she was drinking and accepting a little food but weekday mornings she had her clubs and went to day care - which was a must for me as I work part time and needed some space.
    She would very often just refuse me but we managed to find two excellent carers who took it in turns to get her up and washed/showered in the mornings. Mum found it more difficult to disagree with third parties but we did have to use a lot of deception. The carer would call me when she was about 7 mins away, I would take mum tea. This would prompt her to need the loo and by the time she got in there the carer was with her, clothes on the radiator and suggesting that 'while we are in here' she washed/showered. It worked for us until mum, sadly, passed away last year with a physical problem that the dementia had hidden from us.
    Had she lived I had planned to have her go into full time care last autumn as I felt that I had reached the end of my ability to care properly for her, especially with the worry of her sleeping so much and the threat of dehydration this caused.
    I appreciate that not everyone can find/afford an outside carer!