Sleeping a lot with dementia

AnnP

May 21, 2020
Hello, my name is AnnP and I am 82Years old. I am full time Carer for my husband with Dementia. We have been married for 60 years and I am saddened that he no longer seems to know me as his wife. But when we were married we promised to look after each other through sickness and health and although it is hard at times I do want to care for him.
My question is regarding sleep of which he does a lot! That doesn’t sound too much of a problem but I have trouble with waking and getting him up in the morning. Because I am involved with his personal care, it is difficult if he sleeps the morning away and, at times, even well into the afternoon. This sometimes means that he is not ready to go to bed when i am. Just lately I have discovered that if he is in bed too late into the morning, the bed is also wet. If anyone in the forum has experienced this and has a suggestion,I would be so very grateful.
During this time of lockdown I am missing our monthly Carers meeting which was often helpful. I am hoping that the Alzheimer’s Forum will be a good substitute.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums, @AnnP. You are among people who understand here, and we are doing out of a combination of love and duty. We are as welcoming and knowledgeable as your carers group, but no sadly coffee and biscuits. It's amazing what a difference that personal interaction made now we can't do it.
Regarding the wet bed, I have a layered combination of kylie sheets and disposable sheets from the chemist and that does keep the bed dry most of the time. Your GP should be able to make a referral to the continence service once restrictions lift, so worth asking now.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I’ve just asked for a referral to the continence service, I understand they are doing phone consultations so hopefully it is the same in your area @AnnP.
In the meantime I’ve purchased some pull on underwear (Tena) and they, tough wood, are saving the mattress. I’m also in the process of ordering some Kylie pads recommended by the continence service.