Sleep tips

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Have read all this with interest, as it's me that has the problem with insomnia. I'm tired but my mind just won't switch off once I hit the pillow. A few good ideas to try here so thank you, plus here's a few that I have tried:
  • the expensive pillow spray - didn't work but smells good
  • a disc that throws a bright blue spot on the ceiling that you concentrate on - it fades and you are supposed to drift into sleep. Very calming but didn't work :mad:.
  • a small box with prerecorded calming sounds eg seashore, rain etc that play for a period of time and then turn off. Hmmm .... quite pleasant and the rain one is the most effective.
  • warm shower before bed
  • the one that works best is simply to keep the room cold. So the bedroom window is open at night, whatever the weather!
My Mum is in a CH and had a long run recently of being awake at night and then sleeping for large amounts of the day. By encouraging and getting her up, showered and dressed - trying to keep her engaged during the day - and changing my visits to the morning rather than the afternoon, it seems that slowly and with perseverance, Mum is back on track and her body clock has readjusted.
When Mum lived alone in Assisted Living she often said she didn't want to go to bed and would sleep in her chair. I think she was frightened of laying down and closing her eyes :(

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I play my mum the greatest hits cd by Clannad and sometimes Enya who was from the band Clannad,it helps her relax and she always drops off to sleep so do I.

A Sad Son

Feb 2, 2019
My Mum has been awake 95% of the night last night. She has spent the entire night trying to go home. She has nights like this. The fact that she doesn't sleep, means I don't sleep either. The more tired she is, the more confused she gets. She will be exhausted today and so am I. Today will be tough.

Getting her to sleep through the night would be a godsend to me!!!