Slapping self on face and head

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am not quite sure what to make of this new behaviour which first surfaced yesterday and has raised its head a couple of times today

There is no stress involved, quite the opposite in fact, because when my husband has been laughing and joking with others he suddenly smacks himself on the face or raps his knuckles hard on his head.

It's not a light slap or knuckle rap either - it's loud and leaves a mark.

He is none the worse for it afterwards, he carries on smiling and laughing - it's just a little alarming to watch and hear.

I suppose I am wondering if anyone else can identify with this? Maybe it is a reaction to some kind of information overload and he doesn't know how to deal with it (he does have trouble getting his words out).

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
My husband used to rub and slap his leg quite hard, slap his stomach and head - no idea why, and he seemed none worse for it. I think its a way of expressing feeling, mostly it seemed positive only occasional frustration. Quite alarming though, fortunately it seems to have mostly passed now.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My husband used to rub and slap his leg quite hard, slap his stomach and head - no idea why, and he seemed none worse for it. I think its a way of expressing feeling, mostly it seemed positive only occasional frustration. Quite alarming though, fortunately it seems to have mostly passed now.

Thanks irismary, yes I suspected it was a way of expressing emotion/feeling in some way. I am relieved that on all occasions so far he has been very happy and jovial at the time. I am hoping that, like with your husband, it will turn out to be a phase which eventually passes because it is quite hard to watch him hit himself, even though he doesn't seem bothered by it himself

Thanks for your feedback on this, it was very helpful to know others have come across this :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I wonder if it's akin to or instead of slapping his friends on the back Lynne. Does it only happen when Niven is with others? Maybe it's a deviant social action.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I wonder if it's akin to or instead of slapping his friends on the back Lynne. Does it only happen when Niven is with others? Maybe it's a deviant social action.

That's a possibility I hadn't thought of. Yes, both yesterday and today it happened while we were part of a group where everyone was having a bit of light-hearted banter.

In many ways it was lovely because some people were able to see his sense of humour for the first time, something of the person I knew pre-dementia but they had never known. Just a shame that it triggered this painful looking behaviour, but yes, had he slapped someone on the back to emphasise his amusement and general merriment, it would not have looked out of place in the circumstances.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi Lynne,

My OH was diagnosed around the same time as Niven, so I always follow your posts with interest.

How strange. My OH has started slapping himself on top of the head recently. I can't work out why. He's not anxious at the time. It doesn't seem to consistently happen at the same time or whilst doing the same activity.

He also slaps his thighs but that seems more rhythmically as if he might have a tune in his head.

I'm sure it will soon pass.

JigJog x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I've only ever, in all the people with dementia I've met seen one man that slaps his head, he hits himself quite hard on the forehead with the heel of his hand, quite hard.
He used to do it every few minutes but now 18 months later he rarely does it although he did today for the first time (I've seen) in a while.
Originally he was in an assessment unit with my wife for 7 months and they never found a way of stopping him from doing it.
K

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thanks JigJog, yes I recall our OHs being diagnosed around the same time. How strange that they have both started exhibiting this trait around the same time too! As you say, there is no anxiety involved as a trigger.

Kevinl, yes I saw a similar thing with a chap when my husband was in a secure unit temporarily last year - though in his case, the behaviour was definitely triggered by fear and anxiety.

I am glad to know it does tend to pass eventually. I'm also glad that it doesn't happen on a daily basis!

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Perhaps

I suffer a similar trait, when I'm having an episode I sometimes scratch my face repeatedly, sometimes till I bleed. I also hit my head I'm told as well occasionally, I have tracked this back to when I start feeling an episode parts of my head goes numb or painful and I don't realise until my wife sidetracks me and asks what I'm feeling, perhaps he also is subconsciously trying to tell you something is up.
I apologise if I butted in.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Please don't apologise - you have not butted in at all :)

I posted this experience in the hope of getting feedback from others - and I welcome each and every comment.

You raise a very valid point and it is one that I will keep in mind next time I see this happening - it is important that I follow all avenues of enquiry so that I can give my husband the best support that I can.

So, thank you for sharing your experience, it has helped me and will help others who are reading this thread :)

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Follow on from post

My wife just reminded me that when I'm doing this she gives me a cloth or something soft to distract my attention, it often works she says

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
My wife just reminded me that when I'm doing this she gives me a cloth or something soft to distract my attention, it often works she says

Thank you, that's definitely a handy tip. So far taking my husband's hand gently has done the trick - but there is always the risk that this might happen when he attends one of his groups when I am not around. As he might not allow someone else to hold his hand it would be useful for the staff/carers to be aware of what your wife has found to works in this situation - so many thanks to your wife too :)

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
But isn't it a classic thing when you suddenly realise the obvious to "slap yourself on the forehead"? There even emoticons for it these days as it's a sort of standard "now I realise what you mean" thing to do.
K

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
But isn't it a classic thing when you suddenly realise the obvious to "slap yourself on the forehead"? There even emoticons for it these days as it's a sort of standard "now I realise what you mean" thing to do.
K

That's true too kevinl - I believe they call it 'face palming' but it isn't usually done with a great deal of force :)

My main concern is that, whatever has triggered it, my husband slaps his face hard or raps his knuckles on his forehead/top of head very hard so that it leaves a red, physical mark.

I'll watch closely over the coming days to see what the different triggers might be for it. So far it has only occurred when he has been extremely happy - possibly to the point that his emotions overwhelm him - but I am certainly open to the idea that other things might be the trigger too and that I am overlooking them. It's quite early days for this particular behaviour to be exhibited by my husband so I'll definitely keep things under observation.

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Another question

Is he doing this to exact particular points? , the scull has a map of points that if we rub tap etc has an effect on our vascular fluids in our brain.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Is he doing this to exact particular points? , the scull has a map of points that if we rub tap etc has an effect on our vascular fluids in our brain.

There doesn't appear to be one particular point that he is aiming for. He has rapped his knuckles at three or four different locations - so, at this time, I would say that it is quite random.

Hamster Wheel

Apr 20, 2017
Derbyshire
Spider webs on head!

It not one of his better days today, Dad keeps rubbing his face and head saying he has just walked into a spider's web, he may have but he's been saying this for a while. Asked him if he feels 'fuzzy' (his description) he replied "yes but I'm bound to, I'm getting old' (82), sometimes I'm not sure if he remembers he has VasDem or if he is choosing to ingonre it.

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Sorry to hear it

I hope things get better as the day progresses, feeling like walking into a spiders web is a feeling I know from my own issue it is normally accompanied with numbness with me and leads to intense confusion, but this just how it affects me, everyone is different, I will be happy to answer any questions good luck with the rest of the day. My heart goes out to you both

Cghrmu

Jun 2, 2017
Soft material

Please consider giving him soft material however small as a distraction incase the rubbing of face gets any more physical, just a thought

Hamster Wheel

Apr 20, 2017
Derbyshire
Please consider giving him soft material however small as a distraction incase the rubbing of face gets any more physical, just a thought
Thank you for your reply, think we are just leaving the early stages. It's not constant rubbing, I see it more as a warning of things to come. He is busy with his model ship at moment.....all the right pieces but not necessarily in the right place :rolleyes:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp