Sixth Anniversary!!

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi everyone,

Well as January 2011 inches towards its climax it also marks the “Sixth Anniversary” with my capricious bedfellow… and I find myself pondering as just where those six years have gone to since I heard those fateful words from my doctor (Sorry Mr. Barry, ‘but’ you have mixed dementia with Alzheimer’s) and the sound of those words still echo out in my thoughts each day and I start to wonder just how many other people have heard those exact words in these past six years… which I’m sure must run into the thousands, and then the sudden realization that you have to try and adapt to the whole new way of daily life that any type of Dementia brings with it that can cause us all ‘meaning both sufferer and spouse alike’ to have more high’s and low’s than the Pyrenees mountains…

But now when I try to recollect over my past six years I have little recollection of what’s been happening, the only way I can tell is to read the notes in my daily diary and when doing just that it horrifies me as to the many changes that have taken place within my being and my personality… where and what has devoured at the once placid man that had immense confidence in himself, who could stand unfalteringly for hours in front of a vast audience lecturing and demonstrating about his profession as a Master Baker and Confectioner, who could answer any technical questions on that given subject and demonstrate the skills within his hands… that once man has now become a quivering wreck that shies away from any direct human contact due to his inability to clearly communicate as a result of the Alzheimer’s… and sits fighting with the computer each and every day trying to find the words now lost within his brain…

As we all know its an illness that can destroy the heart, soul and spirit of a person… yet we must not acquiesce to its relentless bombardment of bewilderments at our being, we must stay as steadfast as is possible, and for as long as possible, everyday fighting our way through a density of clouds in the mind.

‘NO’ it’s not easy and there have been days over the past six years when I’ve said “I’ve had enough of this life” not just with regards to my own anxiety… but because of all the anxiety it causes my dear wife Sumi who at the best of times feels helpless as to knowing just how to help me… I’ve said this before, but I will say it again… for those of us with this terrible illness our days will slowly diminish beyond comprehension, but for our spouse the torment goes on beyond our demise… and one thing I know for sure is that without my darling Sumi at my side to support me, then I don’t know what I would do... so for Sumi’s sake , my children, and my grandchildren I will keep on staunchly fighting until the heavenly clouds of God come to carry me away.

Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry,

It is always such a pleasure and a relief these days to see you online and to hear what you have to say. I'll always remember you for your 'Two Perspectives' and it is here again in your post:) It helps:) It helps to confirm the true value we have for each other.

I don't know whether you realise it Barry but something of the man you once were (confident and capable) is still very evident in your posts (poems or otherwise). You still stand out amongst the crowd and are capable of capturing an audience;) That is partly due to a 'virtual reality'. Thank goodness for the age in which we live.

I think of you daily dear Barry. You have captured many of our hearts and minds.

Love to you and yours

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
So helpful

Dear Barry, six years is a long time to struggle with this awareness, I can only say how inspirational you are to me - two years since diagnosis. You are such able communicator still, and honest and open about where you are in a way that as a fellow 'sufferer' (How I hate that word, can relate to and take comfort and practical help from Longmay your posts continue
Shelagh

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
My dear friends many thanks for you exceptionally kind words… yes the days are becoming far more difficult but then we must still fight on.
God bless you all
Barry

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Barry

I too often think of you Barry - I've not been here much this last year - but really I find you as, if not more, articulate and purposefully reflective than ever. Such a pleasure to read of your views and experiences. Love to you & Sumi, xx♥

maryw

Nov 16, 2008
Surrey
Dear Barry, for someone who has had the company of the dreaded dementia bedfellow for 6 years, you are amazingly and impressively articulate. I am so glad you have your notes to keep track of the past. Xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Barry, your post was amazing. There must be many people - myself included - who could never articulate themselves as well as you have. You are an inspiration and have given me hope, thank you. xx

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello Barry, I can only echo what others have said. You are amazing. It seems to me that you put as much effort into coping with dementia as you have into your wonderful profession.

Turbo

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi my dear friends

And “Wow” all your comments are extremely motivating and make me fell exhilarated… God bless you all and to all my friends on TP, without such a website we would all be lost!!! ;)
Barry

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Barry,

I did check out that link and it is a completely different dimension to hearing you and seeing the pictures demonstrating what you are saying. I thought it was excellent and would be interested to know which you might find easiest? Speaking directly into a dictaphone your thoughts or typing up your thoughts?

Love

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Thank you so much

Thank you Barry - I will never forget that film you made - so transparent and almost poetic - you are a gift to this world with your insight and strength. Sending love & hugs, xx