Single beds

berkeley

Sep 28, 2012
Hampshire
Pete and I have always shared a double bed however he is now incontinent and before I spend out on incontinence bed products I am thinking of buying single beds. Will be a bit of a squeeze in our bedroom but necessary I think. Anybody any tips on what I should buy, mattress type (specifically for him). Not looking forward to the upheaval and expense.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Pete and I have always shared a double bed however he is now incontinent and before I spend out on incontinence bed products I am thinking of buying single beds. Will be a bit of a squeeze in our bedroom but necessary I think. Anybody any tips on what I should buy, mattress type (specifically for him). Not looking forward to the upheaval and expense.

I have not personal knowledge on the subject, but I Googled 'incontinence mattress' and lots of information on mattresses and covers came up.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

malc

Aug 15, 2012
north east lincolnshire
when i rigged out my doblo to sleep in i bought a waterproof mattress off ebay,the same as youth hostels use,it wasn't that dear either,but it was very comfortable,i was worried about it getting damp stuck in a car.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon

You would still have to spend out for incontinence protection for Pete's single bed. I'm afraid none of it's cheap-not sure if OT supplies such things like they do with grab rails etc. If your mattress on your present bed is soiled you could just replace that. I bought waterproof pillow covers. Waterproof duvet covers and the same for the mattress and Kylie sheets (useful on chairs), The only problem was the drying so I had 3 x everything. (they weren't suitable for tumble drying)

Good luck

Lyn T XX

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland

What about a super kingsize bed which has 2 separate mattresses, it might fit your room more easily.

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hubby and I have used single beds for a good while. He has a catheter and if there is a malfunction, not unusual I'm afraid, you can imagine the outcome :eek:

I bought a mattress cover which completely encases the mattress - totally waterproof. You need to measure mattress to get snug fit - requires two people to get it on. It is very practical as it can be washed and disinfected without removing it - so no odour.

Prior to that I had bought Kylies but now don't use them. If leakage occurs it is easier to wash and dry the sheets (Kylies take a long time to dry as someone has already mentioned).

I'm not sure how to post links but I bought from AGE UK. Remember also that you can be exempt from VAT as it is for home use.

Last edited:

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
My sister is a foster carer fir kids with special needs. She akso bought a special duvet cover to protect the duvet. The cloth cover went on top. Look for reviews that say low noise so rustling does not keep you awake. Best of luck.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
What about a super kingsize bed which has 2 separate mattresses, it might fit your room more easily.

I've just posted on pamann's thread on night incontinence re this. A bit sad to be forced into single beds if you don't want to be, apart from the space issue. I am thinking about getting separate duvets too with a protective cover for OH.
Lilacblossom's mattress cover sounds good. We've just got a couple like fitted sheets which tend to ping off the corners, I think the extra expense for a whole mattress cover would be well worth it. Hope you find the best solution for you berkeley.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon

Hi Berkely,
We stayed in a double until incontinence intruded, I then used a divan which I found I had to scrub the sides even with a Kylie and inco pants, so asked nurses if it was possible to have a hospital bed, two days later it arrived and assembled complete with air mattress! So much easier to get him up now (can't manage on his own) and so easy to clean single Kylie's/sheets etc. so much easier to change, especially during the night, when all you want to do is sleep if you get the chance that is, yawning now.

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
With the assistance of the District Nurse we have recently got a hospital type profiling bed for my husband. Space is tight but I have a single bed adjacent so I can still hold his hand or give him reassurance when he gets anxious. I had no idea this would be provided for us. It is free of charge and we have not be means tested and remain self funding. It has made a big difference to me as being able to use the bed to sit him up has improved my back pain and the bed has cushioned cot sides and a pressure mattress so he is not now waking half a dozen times a night.
The GP put us in contact with the district nurse and once she advised it the bed arrived within a fortnight.
Might be worth talking to your GP. The bed, which is brand new, is on loan from the LA but who would want this if they did not need it. I looked online at costs and the bed itself retails at over £750 ( excluding VAT) and the mattress costs similar.
Tre

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill has a hospital bed provided by the district nurse service. It was ordered after he was in hospital with pneumonia. It's brilliant because of the easy wipe mattress as well as the fact that I can adjust the back. I kept our double bed which is right beside his. We look like a branch of BedsRUs!:D

Like Tre I can still hold his hand or put my head on his pillow!'it took me a while to get used not sleeping in the same bed as him but it is much more sensible given the issues.

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Bill has a hospital bed provided by the district nurse service. It was ordered after he was in hospital with pneumonia. It's brilliant because of the easy wipe mattress as well as the fact that I can adjust the back. I kept our double bed which is right beside his. We look like a branch of BedsRUs!:D

Like Tre I can still hold his hand or put my head on his pillow!'it took me a while to get used not sleeping in the same bed as him but it is much more sensible given the issues.

Same as me Izzy,I thought ours looked like a bed shop!