Simvastatin

hazytron

Apr 4, 2008
SOUTH LAKES
Mum stopped taking Simvastatin on Tuesday, I have read that to stop for a month will do no harm at all. We shall wait and see if there is any change in how she feels. Maybe I am clutching at straws, hoping beyond hope that her life could possibly improve, but it has to be worth a try.
I am going to be away for a week commencing this Saturday. Carers will be attending during my absence.
I will keep you all posted following my return.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to express your opinions on this matter.
Regards Hazel

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
This is all very interesting. At one time mum's cholesterol was slightly high and the doctor told her to cut out salt from her diet, which she did. Then she was put on Simvastatin, and I have no idea how long ago that was. Would her GP tell me if I asked I wonder? Interestingly, when I took mum to see him the very first time about her memory he did a meds review and immediately took her off the statin and the adcal (taken to counter the effects of the statin). He didn't really give a reason and I didn't think to ask at the time, but I wonder if he had concerns about a possible link with dementia.

I hate it when you get one lot of 'experts' saying something reduces the risk of a particular disease, and other 'experts' who say completely the opposite.

Chris

Derek

Jul 17, 2008
Pewsey, Wilts
My wife & I have both been on Simvastatin for several years now. I have not noticed any side effects & I don't think my wife did either. AZ came on later for her & I can't say if the tablets contributed to this in any way.

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Well my dad had testicular cancer 17yrs ago, they removed it all in 1 surgery with no follow up treatment needed and he was given the all clear 6 months later, he was diagnosed with cancer again in 2006 and died 6wks later, I think now after looking after mum since dad died that he had Lewy Body's "the same as they think mum has now" dad had all the symptems mum has now in the last 10/12 months of his life.Shuffleing gait, unable to remember people he'd known all his life, lots of falls ect! he was never diagnosed, I think it was put down to old age "85 when he died"
Now dad had never taken any kind of statins.
mum on the other hand has taken simvastatin for years for angina,
she has only displayed the Lewy Body symptems during the last 9 months or so, that was when I started to think something was wrong hallucinations, getting lost in Marks n Spencer ect! but the Dr said it was depression after dad dyeing. I dont know what the answer is, but mum has had severall stays in hospital with angina attacks, and she's also had 4 stents fitted, so I will not be taking her off her simvastatin and risking another angina attack on the strenth off differing news paper articalls, she hasn't had an attack for a very long time. Lynn

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
From the Telegraph article
The strangest thing was that for most of last year I noticed something I had never suffered from before: poor circulation in my fingers and toes. I thought my numb white index fingers might be connected to my furious two-finger typing. Nearly every day I had to stop and massage my fingers to get the blood circulating.

That's exactly how my Dad is, often rubbing his fingers as they are white & cold, even when in a centrally heated house. There was quite a lot of bad press about Simvastatin about 18 months ago, I asked my Dad's GP about him coming off it. He said they abide by NICE rulings and as long as they recommended it, that was the guidelines they followed. Dad has been on it about 12 years I think following a triple by-pass & has has vascular dementia. If I took him off it, it would have to behind the doctor's back, & I am not sure I would dare do it just in case anything went wrong, but I would like to.

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Hi All

My mum has been on Simvastatin for years, since she took her very first TIA as she has very high colestrol, and I have been given simvastatin for the last 6 months due also to high colestrol.
Mum's reading is now below the average and has been for about four years but the vascular dementia started long before then, I also am way below the average for colestrol after less than four months. I think if they keep me from strokes or heart trouble (like dad had) I shall continue to take the tablets cause what would happen to mum if I took either a stroke or heart attack due to colestrol.Until they can prove one way or the other I think it is important to do as much as you can to keep healthy.
All the different reports are very confusing, some saying they help prevent dementia others tell us they are a contributing factor, and I admit I do worry but most of the meds mum or I take have some side effects and if I stopped taking mine I know I would be in a wheelchair, or worse, and be no use whatsoever to mum.
So I think until I hear something definite I shall have to "keep taking the tablets".:)

Jenny

sadness

Mar 7, 2009
chatham kent
sadness

hi hazel my husband was prescribed simvastatin amongst other medications in 2002 he suffers terrible headaches and gets a lot of nausea not saying that these are the cause but who knows. i wasnt aware of the report in the newspaper mind you i dont really get time to get paper regards.

Confuse

Feb 1, 2010
kent
My mum started taking simvastatin 9 years ago, her cholestral was borderline . Since she started taking this pill her memory has gone. I also saw this story on the news and was shocked as my friend once mentioned that mum seemed to have memory problems since she had cholestral problems. I am going to mention this to the memory clinic on her next appointment .

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hi Hazytron , Am not a real expert/ carer cos Mum is for Dad (mild Dementia since 2009 ) With Dad it is other way round he is on cholestroral Meds for ages ? & then in 2008 he had/ showed signs of Pre - Dementia . Reading your "Thread" is (i think) the first time have heard about a "Link" , will read News paper reports later .

Thanks for the Thread but as another T P 'ER posted every body is different arent they ? When Dad was on them 1st of all he was ok very well etc ( tho he did for get where he had put keys etc but then that was Dad all over ! !

Best Wishes From Grove x x x

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
When Gary's dose of Simvastatin was doubled in June last year the effects were catasrophic.He became so ill and his confusion was apalling. Eventually I realised what was causing it at took him off them , it took about 6 weeks or so to get him back to normal and along the way he lost something. I posted about it at the time and kept a record of sorts in my blog. I don't think doctors take dementia into consideration enough when they prescribe drugs and the consequences of possible side effects. There is a forum for people taking statins and some of the posts there are frightening (although a lot of people have no problems taking them)