simpleminds

simpleminds

Jul 8, 2014
Hi ive just joined up tonite and would just like to tell everyone a little bit about my situation coping with alzheimers looking after my mum whos 84yrs old and who was diagnosed 5yrs ago.prior to that I had my dad to look after as well but lost him 2 yrs ago. I have had to give up work to now care for mum full time as well as childmind 4 grand children so my grown up children can work thereselves. I feel I have put in place at mums home to make her safe and happy ie lifeline pendant around her neck, stairlift, call barring from sales calls etc. She goes to daycare twice a week as I feel she still needs to be around people her own age. I do all her cleaning cooking washing bill paying take her shopping wash her hair etc My sister is no help at all as she lives in the United States. Im lucky mum still knows its me but she gets confused about the rest of her family, I have two major problems with her im struggling with = I like mum to have money in her purse just for her piece of mind but she keeps hiding the money somewhere in the house so I started to put coins in instead of notes now shes hiding that as well so the break the cycle I wont give her anything as really she doesnt need it as she only goes with me out anywhere and I pay for everything the other problem is her calling random numbers her phone bill is so high any ideas on that one would be brill.
sorry my intro is so long lol

PenAmGra

Jul 30, 2013
Hi there - does your mum still recognise money as what it is, or could you perhaps using foreign coins, toy coins or chocolate coins instead so that she thinks she has money, and if she hides it then it's no big deal really? If you know her hi dings places then just collect it up every few days then put it back in her purse again.

We haven't got the problem with the phone thank goodness, but does you mum actually know how to call you if she needs to, or is it so that you and other family members can call her? Because she will need the phone line for telecare, could you disconnect and remove the phone from the socket, and get a pay as you go mobile with no credit to stop her from calling but still enable friends and family to call her? I have a mobile for my gran and we phone her on that but it stops her running up large phone bills. I am having to get a phone line connected to her home for telecare to be installed. Otherwise how about speaking to her supplier and explaining the situation to them... They may have the ability to place a call limit on her account.

Good luck, Penney.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

cheese77

Jun 10, 2013
Could I ask if your mum is dialling random numbers because she is trying to contact particular people and can't remember the numbers or is it just something she does?
If she wants to contact people, how about a picture phone that has photos of people she can recognise with their numbers already programmed in, so all she needs to do is push their face and it dials through - you could google for the DORO memory plus phone or binatone picture dialler