Should I complain to the Health and Care Professions Council?

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
Does anyone have experience or advice in complaining about an individual social worker to the HCPC? We will be complaining to the LA, and if they don't resolve it, we will take them to the Local Government Ombudsman. However there is one care manager, registered with the HCPC who:

- did not answer our emails raising safety concerns for our relative and our requests for assistance in progressing the decision in a best interests meeting he chaired where it was agreed she should be moved to a care home, and providing a named social worker (for 9 months)

- claimed via email that by putting her into respite care (following a serious safety near miss) in a different LA that we had effectively created a new 'ordinary residence' for her - the guidelines are very clear this is not the case

- is not responding to his own managers who have asked him to treat our concerns urgently

This is very much in the area of omission rather than commission - it's neglect to provide her with the necessary care to assure her safety and well-being, essentially, and trying to mislead us about her legal residency status.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
Does anyone have experience or advice in complaining about an individual social worker to the HCPC? We will be complaining to the LA, and if they don't resolve it, we will take them to the Local Government Ombudsman. However there is one care manager, registered with the HCPC who:

- did not answer our emails raising safety concerns for our relative and our requests for assistance in progressing the decision in a best interests meeting he chaired where it was agreed she should be moved to a care home, and providing a named social worker (for 9 months)

- claimed via email that by putting her into respite care (following a serious safety near miss) in a different LA that we had effectively created a new 'ordinary residence' for her - the guidelines are very clear this is not the case

- is not responding to his own managers who have asked him to treat our concerns urgently

This is very much in the area of omission rather than commission - it's neglect to provide her with the necessary care to assure her safety and well-being, essentially, and trying to mislead us about her legal residency status.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks in advance!

I would just go ahead and complain. You've given me food for thought about making a complaint myself. I had always initially thought that first a complaint is made to LA and if their response is not satisfactory to then go through LGO. Don't know where HCPC fits into this, is it instead of LGO?

Good luck but let me know how you get on.

Last edited:

Dagne

Feb 16, 2013
HCPC is for individual professionals. It doesn't look like you could use it if you were unhappy with a decision, it's more if you feel a particular SW is not meeting the professional standards they should. We will probably make two separate complaints, one regarding decisions made etc. to LA then OPG if we don't get result we want. The HCPC complaint will be separate, and not about the decisions, but about the behaviour of one particular SW.