Short stories for mum

Lisay

May 20, 2020
There are books by an Author called Emma Rose Sparrow. One is called what the wind showed me, there is one about a trip to the beach. They are written especially for people with dementia. Nowhere on the book does it say it is for people with dementia. in all respects it’s like a normal short story. Depending the stage your relative is at may depend on how well received these books are. However, my mother read them over and over. They are cleverly written so it doesn’t matter if my mum inadvertently missed out a page, skipped a chapter or a paragraph. The book still makes sense. The words used included some difficult words which was a gauge for me as to how her mind may be at that point in time. they are short and made lovely gifts for her. Something we can do together as Mum reads aloud. I got them from Amazon.

Caro2342

Mar 16, 2023
I got my husband reading Michael Morpugo books. They are for children but I told him I had read them and enjoyed them. Got loads from charity shops as he sometimes underlines phrases or sentences so could not go down the library route.

Emski

Feb 29, 2024
There are books by an Author called Emma Rose Sparrow. One is called what the wind showed me, there is one about a trip to the beach. They are written especially for people with dementia. Nowhere on the book does it say it is for people with dementia. in all respects it’s like a normal short story. Depending the stage your relative is at may depend on how well received these books are. However, my mother read them over and over. They are cleverly written so it doesn’t matter if my mum inadvertently missed out a page, skipped a chapter or a paragraph. The book still makes sense. The words used included some difficult words which was a gauge for me as to how her mind may be at that point in time. they are short and made lovely gifts for her. Something we can do together as Mum reads aloud. I got them from Amazon.

Emski

Feb 29, 2024
I just found these books by Emma Rose Sparrow, and have ordered the first one to see how mum gets on.

also found a site with some other recommendations, but cant post the link.
Its at southport senior living ... books for dementia patients

I also heard on the radio that Bill Nighy is narrating some dementia friendly books in association with the Alzheimers society. First one released yesterday 16th April, and available at the Alzheimers shop, or Amazon etc. Its a physical book, but if you buy it you get access to the narration I think.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I just found these books by Emma Rose Sparrow, and have ordered the first one to see how mum gets on.

also found a site with some other recommendations, but cant post the link.
Its at southport senior living ... books for dementia patients

I also heard on the radio that Bill Nighy is narrating some dementia friendly books in association with the Alzheimers society. First one released yesterday 16th April, and available at the Alzheimers shop, or Amazon etc. Its a physical book, but if you buy it you get access to the narration I think.
I think that the first of the books produced in association with the society is about the Beatles and that era in general.

Helly19682

Feb 26, 2024
This may be a bit controversial, but it worked for us. My mother and father always read to me as a child, and both were children's librarians, so we are all familiar with children's books.
When my mother reached a stage where she could not have followed adult books, she enjoyed looking at children's books with me (and was beyond being upset or patronised) and would read aloud or sometimes put her finger under the words as we read. We enjoyed books with a good read aloud rythmn like "Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak. We also read a number of poems from an anthology, some of which she remembered. I think she liked the sound and familiarity and maybe childhood memories. It depends a lot on the person, what they like. We also bought a simple book on birds, with lots of pictures as she enjoyed watching the birds at feeders in the care home.