Shopping and alzheimers

Armygirl

Feb 1, 2014
Bless her. Today we have been shopping and my mum wanted some more toilet cleaner. All very well but she bought 2 bottles last week and two bottles the week before that. I did ask her if she was sure she wanted more.....

However I have to see the funny side of it all.

About three weeks ago she bought some baked beans - all very well but when we got home and I helped her unpack her shopping it came to light she had already got 7 tins of beans!!! Then last week it was yet more toilet rolls (she now has 12 toilet rolls) and then the toilet cleaner this week and last.....:D

There is a connection guess!!!!

helpisneeded

Jan 10, 2014
we have the same problem with prunes, packets and packets of prunes, haha. sometimes you've just got to laugh.x

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
At least these are reasonably priced. After mum passed away I found 32 tops stashed away most with the labels still attached heaven knows what she'd spent :):eek:

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
This happens to me too! We have packets and packets of Cappucino sachets (she never used to like coffee :p) but no cheese, eggs, bacon, fruit, etc, etc......I have to just bring this kind of thing with me, as she would never choose to buy it.

I did hope to get a local shopping service involved recently, but this fell apart as it rapidly became apparent that mum could not make any sort of shopping list.

Now we go shopping more as a social exercise - I regard getting her food as a separate exercise. All very time- consuming though.......

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
shopping list

I have exactly the same problem with mum, she assures me that she never shops without a list, but she has lost the ability to write a list of items she needs. So each list has the following items: hand-cream, stain remover, spam, corned beef, kitchen rolls & choc ices. She always has half opened tins of spam and corned beef growing green in the cupboard as she can no longer open the tins fully so puts them back half open, I have recently 'shared out' 21 pink stain remover sprays, and packets and packets of kitchen rolls to friends, and she has 2 freezer drawers full of choc ices. Sadly she has nothing useful in like bread, ham, cheese, ready meals, biscuits soup etc unless I take them round. Luckily its not expensive, it was harder and more expensive when she decided to 'replace her old black shoes' a few times a week, taking them all back was hard work, but she could not afford to be spending up to £100 a week on shoes. I was furious yesterday as I found she had been 'accepted for a new Barclaycard' how can she be deemed to have read and accepted all the terms and conditions when she can't even write a shopping list. Complaint already with Barclaycard.

Lulabelle

Jul 2, 2012
South West France
Oh yes. Cupboards full of stuff.
When I go to see Mum, I always have a quick peek in the fridge. Last time, 6 loaves of bread of varying ages, several packets of grated cheese, a huge trifle, butter by the pound and several litres of milk.
Also her 'potato cupboard' always has many packets of mostly unopened spuds dating back, in some cases, for months.
She doesn't do any cooking other than porridge.
I think she just buys things she always used to buy when she was cooking and doesn't check first to see what she has.
Oh and the freezer is full to bursting.
When questioned about 6 loaves of bread she just says in a little voice 'oh, I don't know why that is'. What can you do?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I take Mum grocery shopping, and she doesn't go to the shops herself so doubling or tripling up on items is rare. Although she can buy several packets of biscuits if you let her;)
She does have a thing however about toilet rolls, tins of fruit and having enough meat in the freezer for Dad.
The thing is she hates red meat with a passion, doesn't like the smell of it, doesn't like the look of it. Hates Dad cooking it. I go to the butchery section, buy what I think Dad needs, and then she will stress out that she doesn't have enough.
We will get home, Mum & Dad will put the groceries away, and then she will remark again that she doesn't have enough meat, and can I take her to the supermarket.
It seems to be a strange obsession :confused:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
i found a tinned sweetcorn mountain in mum's cupboards. all within sell by date, I am taking them to the local food bank.:)

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I take mum shopping too, but honestly it's all,getting more and more difficult. I even feel it's a bit of a charade :( I am trying to get her out, offer a bit of stimulation and even continue to give her some independence.....but in reality it's me who decides what to buy as she has no idea what she needs. She'd just get more and more marmalade, sweet and sour chicken and crisps, given the chance. I don't want conflict to develop over this, but I can feel it coming....

And she won't accept any help from anyone other than me....

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
My mum was into trousers. When she had the stroke that put her in hospital, the indicator that all was not well was 35-40 pairs of trousers, 20 bottles of fabric softener and cup a soups!! My Mum hates soup!!

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
With my Mum it is tins of tuna and tinned fruit. She never eats them. I wait until the cupboard is getting full and take them to the food bank. Love the link between baked beans and toilet cleaner..... ! :D

Last edited:

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Oh dear. i just discovered a hoard of pairs of shoes, all unworn.....:D On the bright side, I also came across £170 stashed away.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
When clearing my mum's house she seemed to have been keeping the mail order and Holland and Barrett supplement market alive single handedly. Ironically most of the supplements are supposed to prevent memory loss/deterioration.:rolleyes:

KazzyF

Nov 12, 2013
Solihull
When clearing my mum's house she seemed to have been keeping the mail order and Holland and Barrett supplement market alive single handedly. Ironically most of the supplements are supposed to prevent memory loss/deterioration.:rolleyes:

But it's a bit sad too - do you think that part of them knows they are losing it!!
My Mum phoned me on Saturday from the home to ask where I was and why wasn't I taking her shopping - difficult to say - because I was with you on Thursday and you spent a whole load of money!!!
:rolleyes:

2197alexandra

Oct 28, 2013
Sileby
Shopping with my dad goes like this.
Me in front leading the trolley suggesting everything that I want him to buy, he then tells me ''no thanks'' and then will pick up the item I've suggested as he passes after me.

Left alone is dread to think what he'd buy I normally have my son on hand at the checkout to dispose of anything not really needed if I can get away with it.
My biggest problem is how rude dad is, he starts trying to unload the trolley before his turn and won't let anyone stop him.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Talking Point mobile app

Miss A

Oct 26, 2012
The South West
Oh this is do do familiar, I could have written it myself! Dad does exactly the same thing and funnily enough it is toilet roll too!

The most I have ever counted was 24 rolls! Baked beans are also a favourite, I'm trying to make my way through 15 cans currently...

You are not alone! Thank you for sharing your story, it's comforting because it is so familiar.

The only concellation is Dad is quite happy and contented having a hord of toilet rolls... It's sad for me sometimes but if he's happy I'm happy!

Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app