Settling in with new friends

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
My mum is settling in at the care home, and yesterday we went to the Christmas Concert. She was so happy and full of childlike wonder, her new friends Lilian and Joan were with her in the front row and all sang away to the carols. It may not seem like anything very special to anyone who has "normal" elderly parents, but me it was a relief and seeing her happy was wonderful.
It just makes me cross that if she had run a brothel, or been committed to jail for not actually trivial offences that ITV did rather gloss over the other night that it would not be costing me £26.00 a week.
It may not be relevant really but when prisoners can get into "quiet areas" and also get quick treatment (anyone whose ever waited in the A and E can see the handcuffs rushed through) before their elderly confused and concussed parent will understand that its a totally confused world just now.
But now at Christmas the guilt is dreadful, invited away for the first time in 20 years and able to go. No actual responsibility to look after mum but will a brother or sister even visit her in the home? No course not, have'nt done so in the past even when they knew I needed help. So going away, I want to too but seeing that little girl inside the elderly body means no, this could be the last christmas and I so want it to be special for her. In a way I'm sad that she has formed a real bond with the very kind carers in the home, they have the patience of saints and are so full of kindness that I was always to busy to relate to her.
I'd love to have the time again to be kinder to her, perhaps more caring, certainly more patient.
Perhaps that is the real message appreciate today because tomorrow you may not remember today.

hollycat

Nov 20, 2011
Am so happy for one reason and one reason alone:

Mum is HAPPY in the care home

From lots of the threads I read on TP, the above fact is PRICELESS

I sincerely hope that if my mum ends up in a care home I am able to post similarly.