Setting up a new savings account or ISA on Mum's behalf

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Electoral Registration Officer only doing their job

5.5 A mental health condition is not in itself a legal incapacity to vote and so
is not, therefore, a bar to registration. The Electoral Registration Officer should
assist, if requested, those who are making an application or who wish to find
out more information about the electoral system.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The Electoral Officer is only collecting names of people they don't need any proof of residence, the person giving the information can be prosecuted for giving false information.

When you return your electoral roll registration each year do you have to prove where you live?

EDIT
An aside.
If nobody fills in a declaration from a house that is obviously occupied the LA have a problem, how can they serve a notice when they don't know who to serve it on. Similarly they don't know that all people have been declared, non declaration does make getting most benefits difficult though.

Last edited:

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
Such is the insanity of the whole 'proof of identity'/'proof of address' system :D

Hubby hadn't lived with his parents since we got married but had never bothered changing the address for some of his shares. He could still collect the post so ignored it. When FIL went into a home he wanted that post diverted as well as FIL's so had to prove that he 'lived' there.

In the end he went in to the post office with the paperwork to 'prove' that he was himself (driving licence) and lived at our address (recent bills) and had LPA for FIL and where FIL (had) lived and then to the same girl proved that he 'lived' with FIL (recent share post) so he could divert both lots of post.

No questions at all from the girl and all sorted - insane really but convenient for us ::rolleyes:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"So why would it be acceptable by a bank as proof of residence then?"

Because a search of the electoral roll would show the residence of the person concerned, most online applications use the roll as proof of residence.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No, although with my father having died last year I also sent them a copy of the Grant of Representation which had my address on. I guess that this would enable them to cross reference in some way ?

I guess that they were just checking that you were who you said you were so that if you gave incorrect information they would know who to accuse.

Interesting that they did not think your entry on a roll was good enough, if not the same LA and on the full version perhaps they were unable to check.

This
http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voter-registration/individual-electoral-registration
is going to cause chaos if it gets passed.

Currently a care home manager can act as 'head of household' when it comes to annual renewal time and act just like a normal 'head of household', if the bill becomes law there will have to be some system whereby all blind, unable to sign because of tremor, mentally incapably, .... people can individually register.

Alloway

Apr 26, 2009
Southern England
Thanks everyone for the input. I eventually managed to get through to some one at the Building Society concerned and explained the situation. After putting me on hold (obviously to check with a manager) they came back and said for her ID they would accept a letter from the CH (on headed paper) confirming she is a resident together with her pension notification letter. Let's see what happens when I send all this in...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sujokealma