Senior Hotel

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
I live in Germany most of the year and I have found a wonderful hotel - a great concept, although it is not for everyone - early to middle stages of AD or simply the old and frail. This place has 38 rooms, is in the town centre, has a dining room, lounge and bar. The rooms are owned by people who use it occasionally or who might want to live in it permanently one day, or who inherited it from their parents. It is managed by the hotelier who rents out the rooms. Except at peak times there are a few rooms available at fairly short notice. Some are one bedroom flats, some are bedsits. All have kitchenettes. Evening meals are served in the rooms. Breakfast and lunch may be taken in the room or in the dining room or you can cook all your own meals if you wish. Activities are organized.
It is no good for people who might wander as the main door is not locked. Hotel staff leave at 7pm, but ...
Also in house 24/7 are the carers. Every guest is issued with an alarm bracelet. An assessment is made on arrival as to needs - dispensing of medication, help with dressing, showering, etc. no nursing care is given, just basic needs. They have a tv and wifi in the rooms. Some people stay a couple of nights, others a couple of weeks. We haven't used it yet, but OH has been to see it and is happy to go there one day rather than having to trail after me on holiday ;)
We have to pay ourselves, but we would have to pay for his holiday if he came with me and we would probably both be miserable! It works out at around £80 a day full board with care included.
Does anything like this exist in the UK?