Sellers' responsibilities when dealing with our loved ones - your thoughts please

Noaksie1

Nov 2, 2010
Sussex UK
Hello - I would appreciate your thoughts/advice re. responsibilities of those selling to those who are clearly 'confused'.

Without being too specific, I am referring to travel - my mum has spent a lot of money without being able to go (for many reasons including confusion, poor judgement, etc.). Do you think a refund may be possible, with back up from her GP?, although there is no diagnosis (a long story..)

I'm also worried about similar happening in the future. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated on how I could help prevent this.

Thanks in advance.
N1

At present, in England (and it is not the same in Scotland), a seller doesn't usually have to satisfy themself as to the mental capacity of the buyer unless it is obvious to the seller that the buyer lacks mental capacity.

However, if a buyer has a problem with their mental capacity, a reputable seller may be persuaded to give them their money back because it is to their benefit reputation-wise, and if the buyer doesn't pay, most well-known organisations wouldn't pursue the buyer for the debt once they know they have something like dementia.

The CAB can help to negotiate with sellers/creditors, as can some mental health advocacy organisations.