Seizures - Causes and After-Effects

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Hi

I already posted about this in another section but was mainly sounding-off about events at the NH on finding out my dad had had a seizure. I hope no one minds me re-posting as I want to find out more about the seizures themselves.

I've 'googled' to tried to find out more about what causes them, whether they are common in dementia sufferers and what impact they have on health, ie is it a sinister thing to be concerned about or not? Does it signify progression of his dementia? He is already at the advanced stages so it's diffficult to see how this would be possible. If he's had one, is it likely this will recurr? Should a GP be called if someone has a seizure?

Also, I wanted to know if it was common to see a slight improvement in cognition and general alertness as I found with my dad (although I suspect it won't last) the day after. I have found the information on the internet to be a bit vague and confusing and I wondered if anyone had any experience they could share with me

I couldn't get any sense out of the nurse and support workers at the time - in fact they seemed very unconcerned as it was (quote) "only a small one". What does this actually mean?! They also couldn't let me know what actually happened as the person who witnessed it wasn't at work that day and the nurse had heard it as a result of the handover and was short on detail - but that's another story!

I will be seeing my dad's GPnext week for his annual review so I can ask more then but I'd also like to try and understand it from someone who has experienced this themselves.

Can anyone help?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't know about the causes but I have heard that people have experienced temporary improvement after a seizure. It is rather a mystery. One friend said her husband would be much improved up to two weeks later.

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
hi don't know if I can help you but my BIL had a couple of seizure last year. though he was at home at the time an my sister called an ambulance. after a scan at hospital he spent 2weeks in there as he was much worse than before an he never improved he had a second one 2months later which ended with him being admitted to a mental health assessment unit an from there a NH. the findings from the scan were that he also had VD as well as AD. he is on seizure meds an hasn't had one since. hope that helps a little juniepoonie.

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks to both of you. I'm puzzled as to why no one sees this as significant. Seems to me it could go either way - temporary improvement or deterioration/meds.

I don't expect he goes to hospital for assessment as he is
too frail; but at least someone should have rug me and explained things. It might be routine to them, but not to me.

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
Thanks everyone.

Fiona I don't know why I didn't pick up those sites when I googled. They are useful in confirming the link with dementia and what actually happens when someone has a seizure. No mention of improvements on them though although there is a thread on here that talks about it. Will have a proper read through.

KentJude

Jul 2, 2012
Maidstone
Hello, I will private message you about our experience with tonic-clonic seizures after which mum also improved mentally and physically for a couple of weeks.