Seems to be more apathetic.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well, it's been a funny old day.This is just me writing for my benefit,to remind me. My daughter went to dad yesterday and it wasn't a bad day. Today when I arrived I could feel it in the air.
Dad had a visitor. A friend who he used to go to car shows with .About my age.When he'd gone dad said his friend's name(wasn't the correct one) and asked me if he was still working.As the friend who he thought he was was just a bit younger than dad who is 89 I said I didn't think so. I explained to dad that it was a different friend but I'm not sure if he believed me. It seemed like he knew he should know him but transposed him onto an old friend. It was a bit weird.
Dad was not happy either as he wanted to use the toilet ( commode) and I offered him a bed pan as he was in bed. ( bed bound)Bearing in mind that he has been dirty for the last 3 carer visits. Morning and evening calls.I cleaned him up and changed his pad again. He would need to be cleaned up when the carers arrived again that evening as he was going again.
Again the carers have trapped the wires under the bed so it stops the air mattress. So I had to wrestle with that as well. 3 rd time this week. Dad is still eating and drinking but not over much.He is looking ill now. Cheeks are sinking in and blue lips majority of the time.He no longer looks at the papers so that is gone now. He is definitely more confused as the days go on..Spends a lot of time in his bed looking out onto the garden.I have bought some plants so I am making the conservatory more welcoming.Wonder what tomorrow will bring.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi

It's a nice thought for the plants maybe your dad will find some small pleasure in watching them ?? We planted some bulbs in the garden which have finally flowered. Dad seemed overall pleased with the colours and gave him something different to look at. Can't be much enjoyment not being able or even wanting to go out. Dad rarely has visitors he is the one who used to go to other people's houses, still wants to but although he still drives (don't ask!!) he always comes back having had a near fall in someone else's house or driveway. The speed of whatever this is seems to be picking up. Perhaps like my Dad days vary some better than others. I think apathy is pretty common. Perhaps harder for carers to see as I don't suppose a person know if they are being apathetic. Hope today is a bit better for you.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Putting plants around for him to to see is a good idea. Maybe also hang a light catcher or two in the window for him to see - if you google "light catcher" you will find lots of options, including some that contain prisms which will scatter the light and form little rainbows around the room.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Putting plants around for him to to see is a good idea. Maybe also hang a light catcher or two in the window for him to see - if you google "light catcher" you will find lots of options, including some that contain prisms which will scatter the light and form little rainbows around the room.
Thank you. I didn't think of that one. I'm like a child trying to make things pleasurable in some form.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marta B