Seeking advice-Mum (64) undergoing investigations for Alzheimer's

Fi1810

Aug 19, 2017
Wonder if anyone can give me some advice about the procedure for diagnosing Alzheimer's... My mum has been diagnosed with Amnestic Mild Cognitive Impairment through 4 tests - paper and pen cognitive testing, MRI, SPECT scan, and lumbar puncture ... All of which has shown she is at risk of developing Alzheimer's. We have been told that there will be no more physical investigations done and that a diagnosis of Alzheimer's would be made only through reports from my mum and family about how she experiences daily life .... I find this really vague and confusing... If she has a run of bad days and reports no memory of large chunks of the previous day ... Would they then consider a formal diagnosis of Alzheimer's ?? Or are her symptoms still too mild in general to be anywhere near a diagnosis?
SPECT scan show poor blood flow in certain areas
The CSF results show a low level of beta amyloid and a high level of tau--- id like to know how significant is this in relation to Alzheimer's?

Can anyone give me any advice or information about any of this? Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Last edited: