Section 117 & state pension

Louise 1711

Feb 25, 2024
Hi, my dad has recently moved to a care home, he is section 117 so his care is fully funded. Does anyone know of he will still receive the full state pension? Or will it depend on savings. Info I've been given is very conflicting.
Many thanks, Louise

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Hi, my dad has recently moved to a care home, he is section 117 so his care is fully funded. Does anyone know of he will still receive the full state pension? Or will it depend on savings. Info I've been given is very conflicting.
Many thanks, Louise
Yes he will still receive his full state pension, my husband still got all of his x

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Section 117 funded is free, no assessments of financial property or whatever, section 117 is a freebee, for those who meet the criteria. K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Thank you for your message, do they take into account savings do you know ? X
There is no financial assessment.
First party top ups are allowed.
Treatment of pensions and benefits is broadly analogous with being in hospital

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
No they don’t do any financial assessment. There was no mention of any top up to pay for him. The chess team lead part of the memory and later life team sorted the placement and did all the funding sourcing x

Louise 1711

Feb 25, 2024
Section 117 funded is free, no assessments of financial property or whatever, section 117 is a freebee, for those who meet the criteria. K
Yes , thanks I was aware it's fully funded, I was querying if he was still entitled to his state pension

arkonline

Feb 19, 2024
Does anyone know if patients who receive Section 117 funding have to stop receiving Attendance Allowance?

Louise 1711

Feb 25, 2024
My dad's attendance allowance was stopped when he went into hospital for a broken hip, he then went to a care home section 117 and does not receive attendance allowance. I have a feeling I've read somewhere that if you're not in a care home and the funding is being paid direct to the patient they may still receive the allowance. I found my local citizens advise was very helpful, also email Alzheimer, they have a technical team that can help.

tonebear

Jun 7, 2023
dorset
They only take savings if saving and accounts and other bits and pieces come to over £23500 which I understand goes up to £100000 this year. Check out gov.uk site asto what is involved.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They only take savings if saving and accounts and other bits and pieces come to over £23500 which I understand goes up to £100000 this year. Check out gov.uk site asto what is involved.
OP is referring to s117 funding where there is no financial assessment

I would not bank on any sizable increase in the £23500 in the near future, you could move to Wales where current upper limit is £50000.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I would check how often section 117 is removed or if it could be removed at anytime just to preempt any problems.