1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Screaming in my head!!

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by maryjoan, May 23, 2019.

1. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    I am sat in the conservatory of our bungalow, trying to work on the computer - a very complicated family tree in the 1700's for a client.
    Two rooms away - the TV is blasting out at 50 volume with Bruce Forsyth ' The Price is Right' - Brucie is shouting, the audience are yelling, and I feel like crying. All I want is the space to work quietly.

Everytime I close the door, he gets up and opens it again.......

I am so sick of all this.. I am looking for a small room locally, I can rent as an office, but so far without any luck.........

2. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Have you thought about getting some of those white noise headphones @maryjoan?

3. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Feel for you MaryJoan,

I did our family trees quite a few years ago when OH was still playing golf (so hours of Me time). Just recently something cropped up via Ancestry (a grandparent appeared via paternity roll) but the trouble I had getting my head around it! It is step by step to a conclusion but if you get interrupted (especially by BF)..... start again. Perhaps the headphones will work or earplugs. I was thinking about these as OH reads out subtitles. At present I just put tissue in the ear nearest him.

4. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    I find people shouting on TV, noisy sport etc. just unbearable. Fortunately my husband will wear headphones. He will take part so sometimes I wear headphones too while I read or write.
    Modern life just seems too noisy, after all we would not invite every passerby in so I do not want loud TV, either!

5. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    I have, but I need to be able to listen out for him as well..... can that be done?

6. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    ....the things we end up doing!

7. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    Yes. They mute the sound rather than block it out completely so you would still hear the TV but not as loud. You would also hear him call out for you.
    I tried some on today and they block out all background noise and make the rest quieter.

8. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    Oh that could be the answer then - thanks for that !!