Scared

Poppy74

Sep 1, 2022
I have a partner with Alzheimer’s, l’ m scared, l feel as though l’m losing half of me, and this is not going to come back, and l don’t know what to do

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@Poppy74 Welcome to Talking Point. Your feelings are perfectly normal, it is so scary when a partner or family member receives a dementia diagnosis.
For now you just need to take one day at a time and try to get a good support network in place if you can.
Keep posting here and ask for advice on anything that is worrying you.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Poppy74 and a warm welcome to Dementia Talking Point.
Have you done practical things such as sorting out Lasting Power of Attorney, and making sure wills are up to date.
Asking your local social services for a needs assessment for your partner and a carer's assessment for you is also something you could consider. SS are very stretched at the moment, so it might take a while to get back to you, specially if your partner doesn't have too many needs at present, but it is worth talking to them so you are on their radar.
The two fact sheets below might also help you start to get your head around things.
This is a very friendly and supportive site and you'll always find someone here to talk things through with.

Poppy74

Sep 1, 2022
Thank you Sarasa for your reply, have sorted out the wills and the power of attorney, l have had a Carer’s assessment, but as yet haven’t asked social services for a needs assessment as l don’t think we are at that stage yet, l am having to do a fast track learning curve on certain things like finances and other stuff, all of which my partner would normally have looked after, and that is scary because l don’t want to get this all wrong, my partner and l don’t have family as such, we have some good friends who are there for us but that’s not quite the same, at the moment l just want someone to put there arms around me and tell me things will be ok, which l know they won’t, l will look at the two fact sheets you have suggested later, have a hospital appointment shortly, again thank you for getting back to me
Poppy74