scared how much longer

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
most know i have a problem with my back and how painful it is. ive adapted and taken onboard all suggestions about doing the minimum around the house and organised others to cut grass etc. the problem i have now is that my husband was going in the shower with the stool so i was let off most of his personal care. he has declined and he now feels dizzy so the shower is out.he will wash what he can reach and i do the rest. which is adding to my workload and my back. also putting on socks etc which mean bending and lifting. im on the list for carers assessment and pain management its a degenerative spine thats irritating the nerve. what im scared about is how much longer i will need to wait and how long i can do the care. someone from alz. society is chasing it up for me as ive been left with promises and feel im whistling in the dark. how much longer i can go on with the level of painkillers i need to take just to function. im still low and how much longer i can keep going, i had this 8 wks now and no follow up from any of the hospital dept since i came back from hospital 3 wks ago. theyve given me a morphine patch but its not enough. i cant go out either and have been stuck in 8 wks as cant walk very far. my husband is more mobile than i am.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear @jennifer1967,

You must remind yourself how well you've done so far. You've done very well to look after your husband despite your back pain. I think it might be an idea for you to contact your GP again regarding your husband feeling dizzy in the shower and remind them about the pain your in. Perhaps they can chase up the appointments for you.

Good luck

MaNaAk

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Dear @jennifer1967,

You must remind yourself how well you've done so far. You've done very well to look after your husband despite your back pain. I think it might be an idea for you to contact your GP again regarding your husband feeling dizzy in the shower and remind them about the pain your in. Perhaps they can chase up the appointments for you.

Good luck

MaNaAk
we have contacted the gp about his dizziness and he has already got tablets for that and there arent anymore they can do. need to leave 2 wks then they might look in his ears.they chased appt 2 wks ago

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
@jennifer1967 - that sounds an awful situation for you. You may have already done this but is it worth ringing Social Services and telling them you need an urgent carer's assessment saying they are putting two vulnerable people at risk by your attempting to wash and dress your husband with your own painful illness?

Also, is it worth checking with the GP whether your painkiller prescription is high enough? My mother was on Fentanyl patches for chronic nerve pain and had to take quite a high dose. She also took pregabalin which I think helped her more.

Can you sit when you try to assist your husband so that you're not straining yourself too much? I hope you can get help soon but I know it is difficult at the moment to get carers.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Oh jennifer, enough is enough! You can't do this any longer or you'll be the one in hospital.

My suggestion: ring social services again - the emergency care. Tell them you are in so much pain you cannot get out of bed and insist they send people to take care of your husband or move him into repite care.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh jennifer, enough is enough! You can't do this any longer or you'll be the one in hospital.

My suggestion: ring social services again - the emergency care. Tell them you are in so much pain you cannot get out of bed and insist they send people to take care of your husband or move him into repite care.
thankyou hes feeling so ill tonight hes gone to bed way before he usually does so im having a bit of me time but im worried about these new developmentsw. he says something is wrong but doesnt know what. we did contact gp couple of days ago and its wait and see sorry didnt mean to spill it all out on your post sorry just concerned