Status
Not open for further replies.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Welcome to Dementia Support Forum :)

However you have been affected by dementia, our community is a place to get support from others.

Say hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteers and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

This thread is for you to say hello and tell us a little bit about yourself, and your connection to dementia.

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

How to use the community

To post a new thread:
  1. Click here to see the list of forums on the homepage. Under 'Support from other members' you'll find a list of different areas of the community. Choose the one which seems most relevant to you or your question.
  2. Click on the yellow button that says 'Post thread'.
  3. Type in a title and then write your message in the text box. Once you've done that, click on the yellow button that says 'Post thread'. Other members will now be able to reply to you :)
Any questions?

If you have any questions, you can email us on DementiaSupportForum@alzheimers.org.uk - we're here to help.

Ronsftd

Mar 21, 2024
Hello, recently diagnosed with early FTD. Any information or books sites etc please forward to: any group therapy in Grand Rspids Michigan or west Michigan/state of Michigan? Thanks in advance!

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Ronsftd and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. We do have members here with experience of FTD so if there's anything in particular that you would like to ask about perhaps start a thread in the 'I have dementia' area of the site as this is a supportive group and members are happy to help if they can:

Edit: I've just noticed that you have started your own thread here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/ftd-early-diagnosis.147300/

You may also find these links helpful in terms of information about FTD:

This is a UK based site, although we do have quite a few members here from the USA, but you may find the Alzheimer's USA website helpful as they will be able to advise you about local support:

Hope these links are helpful.

Last edited:

lancashirelass64

Mar 22, 2024
Hello, I'm new here. My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in January. She had meds but don't agree with her. We seem to lose a little bit more lately. I struggle at times too

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @lancashirelass64 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your mum. There are many here who have a parent or partner with Alzheimer's Disease. We are a friendly and helpful community and I hope that you will find support and comfort from being amongst people who truly understand.

angels72

Mar 25, 2024
Hello, I have a dad with Lewy Bodies Dementia and a mum who is struggling to cope. Dad had visual and auditory hallucinations and is starting to forget to get dressed. He has always has a temper but it is so much worse now. He was sectioned just after Christmas for a month and is now home. We are getting amazing support but it is a real struggle as they are still at home and rely on me so much.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @angels72 and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum, There is lots of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your Dad, and the effect it is all having on your Mum and yourself. It's tough for sure, and you have been through a very challenging time. I sincerely hope that now your Dad is home the temper and anger is eased a bit, but it is great that you say you are getting amazing support.
Do reach out on here for support too. Members on here really do understand and are happy to share good suggestions, advice, or just to lend a listening ear. You are never alone on here.

Trezanne

Mar 25, 2024
Hello... I've joined because my dad has an alzheimer's diagnosis.... my mum will not seek any help and I've decided that I need help and advice to support them both

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Trezanne and welcome to the Forum. We are a friendly and helpful community and I am sure that you will benefit from the suggestions, information and experience that you can find here.

Debsh

Mar 26, 2024
Hi new to the forum. Dad was diagnosed with early signs of Alzheimer’s Sept 23. Neither myself or my sister are local to him and now looking to rehome him nearer us.

Lindsay A

Mar 28, 2024
Hi
New member: my husband has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimers. He is about to be discharged from hospital to home. I imagine I will have questions for the group as the situation develops.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Debsh and @Lindsay A.

I’m glad you’ve found us. This is a perfect place to ask questions, share your concerns and even just let off steam if you need to. You will find support and understanding here.

When you feel ready you might want to consider starting threads of your own in one of these areas -

@Debsh -

@Lindsay A -

Maximol55

Mar 29, 2024
Hi everyone My husband is 75 and has Vascular Dementia, It seems his diagnosis was made in July 2018 when we were actually told he had 'Mild Cognitive Impairment' but not Dementia ! I am 69 and have 'morphed' over the last few years into his full time carer. Not exactly what I had planned for my retirement. He is my 2nd husband and we have been together for 20 years. I have some wonderful memories, lots of photos, but feel very sad at times, that I am slowly losing the person who gave me a 2nd chance at love after the loss of my 1st husband...

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Maximol55 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your husband. Although my experience is of Alzheimer's Disease, I recognise what you say about losing the person as that is common. I am glad that you have joined us as our members truly understand what it means to live with dementia and are here to support you whenever you need it.

Mo62

Mar 29, 2024
Hi
Mum has been diagnosed with vascular dementia I live in Wales no other relatives in England finding it hard to support her as I work full time even though she has carers

mum&daughter1

Dec 18, 2023
Hello, my dad who is 8 years younger than my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2021/22. He has other health issues also. And last year Mum started showing worrying signs and has now overtaken Dad in how much her memory is lost and is disappearing. Afetr a long wait we have the memory nurse coming on Tuesday to assess and hopefully formally diagnose her so that perhaps we can start some sort of medication as the speed it is changing her is really frightening. She is very frail, has IBS and has balance issues.

aaronpotter13

Apr 1, 2024
Hello, my name is Aaron and my nan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year. I am her carer for most of the week and, to be honest, I am struggling. I love my nan and will do anything for her but I have autism myself and problems with my mental health which is making things a bit harder. Her memory seems to be getting worse everyday and her mental health is getting worse as well, she says she feels sad all the time and is crying a lot more. I don't really know what else to do so I joined this forum in hopes of getting some support and advice. Thanks

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @aaronpotter13 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. I am sorry to hear about your situation but am glad that you have joined us. You can ask any questions, share your story with people who truly understand, and let off steam when you need to. We will do our best to offer you helpful suggestions and support.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @aaronpotter13

I'm so sorry to read aout your nan.

It must be hard for you to be her carer for most of the week. Do you have any help for professional carers in looking afer your nan? I'm not sure if your mum and dad are part of the picture but if they are it would be worth discussing your nan's needs with them. It sounds as if an assessment of care needs might be required, or if she has already had this done then it needs to be updated.

This link might be of help -

You might also want to think about contacting the Admiral Nurse Helpline

I'm sure you'll find lots of understanding and support here on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.