Ross Kemp: Living with dementia

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Just noticed this programme in the TV listings. It's a two part programme - described as 'hard hitting' - looking at how life is affected by the disease. It starts on ITV tonight at 7.30pm and the first programme includes a visit to Barbara Windsor and her husband. Good to see a programme about dementia being shown during 'primetime' and it will be interesting to see how 'hard hitting' it actually is.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
I'm going to watch this. He was on this morning one day last week and he mentioned it so I looked through tv guide for what day it was on.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
In a newspaper report today he has said Barbara Windsor didn't know who he was. I hope they capitalise on that point as I think it is one of the only symptoms that seems to jump out at people with no direct experience of dementia. Hopefully her husband will also not pull any punches.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
I just finished watching it and still drying my eyes. . I also note the thanks given in the credits to the Alzheimer's Society.

I've said the same as you @Lemondrizzle about other behaviours and symptoms other than forgetting name and numbers. This episode focused on a father in his 40s who's suffering and how his family cope and I'm somewhat pleased he brought up a time that he felt he wanted to urinate, when to the toilet and then just forgot how to. I think he said he came back to the room his wife was and asked her to teach him how to do it.

There was also mention from Scott of what my family called 'bonus moments' when there would appear to be moments of self-clarity where you could think the PWD was getting better i.e they would conversate as normal or remember things they didn't before, but then it would all change in minutes when the symptoms would become apparent again. Ross also agreed there was time like that he had with Barbara.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I watched it tonight. I thought it was very good. I’m looking forward to the next episode. (Maybe Boris will watch both) I live in hope.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Cried a bit again tonight, especially when meryl talked about seeing it come down the line and her getting it (I dread it but think will come) and how awful it is, stealing everything from a person and when scott was talking about care homes and barbara. That poor little girl and her family, I've never heard of San filippo before.
I thought mentioning how some times people need to move homes as care needs increase and about the cost of care and how many people in care homes have dementia was good too. I can't remember if said 60% or 70% of people in homes have dementia. When I looked at list for care homes in this area recently the ones listed as dementia care homes wasn't 60% of that list. I know that doesn't take into account how big the homes are and although not listed as a dementia home some of the homes probably have early stage dementia residents, but it did look like there may not be enough homes for peoples needs. If dementia is increasing then we going to need more homes that care for people with dementia.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
It was so heartbreaking for that 5 year old girl. I bawled too ! Hopefully, the goverment will finally get their act together and DO something. Whatever they do, it's going to cost an absolute fortune but is so long overdue. I wish dementia was classed as any other illness and treated on the NHS. Nobody should have to lose their home to pay for 'care.'