Risperidone

JBK

Feb 25, 2018
Hi everyone
My husband has advanced Alzheimers & has lately been aggressive with his carers over his personal care, also has hallucinations & is falling & unable to get himself up.
Today the Memory Clinic are thinking of prescribing Risperidone, of course I've researched it on the net & the side effects are horrendous, so I'm feeling very anxious
I wonder if anyone has any experience of it. Would be most grateful for any info.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
Hi there, My Dad has advanced FTD and ALZ and he was given Risp last year when he was sectioned for the first time, unfortunately even after one tiny dose he became worse, he started taking his clothes off and refusing to put them back on, he also developed a stooped neck, bent at 90 degrees touching his chest, which then caused problems with eating and drinking, they took him off it immediately and it took around 6 weeks for his neck to right itself, we were wanted however that it may not of done.

Other members of our work age dementia group have suffered in a similar manner, one ended up bent over almost unable to walk, however it did improve her behaviour slightly.

I think it's dependent on the individual, I know some positive responses on this forum but it absolutely made my Dad worse.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@JBK
My mum has been taking Risperidone for nearly 3 years and has had no side effects, without it she was very agitated

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
It didn’t suit mum at all, she became incontinent and dizzy, had problems walking and it didn’t treat the anxiety and that was on a really low dose.
The incontinence stopped soon after the tablets were stopped.
Obviously people react differently so you could try a low dose to start and closely monitor for any side effects.

None the Wiser

Feb 3, 2020
About a month ago my husband was referred to a psychiatrist because of high anxiety, hallucinations and occasional bursts of violent behaviour, with a view to putting him on Risperidone. He was initially prescribed a low dose of Lorazepam which he is still taking and his behaviour has really settled down, he is less anxious, his hallucinations are still there but quieter, and he hasn’t thrown anything for several weeks. Like you I’m very concerned about him being on Risperidone. I have a consultation booked with the psychiatrist on Monday to decide next steps. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My late husband was on Risperidone for over four years. Yes, the potential side effects can be horrendous, but for him, it really was the last resort. His consultant and I decided that sometimes, you have to weigh up quality of life over just longevity. At the time, my husband was in a living, 24 hour nightmare with hallucinations and delusions. Thankfully, he never suffered any side effects at all. Not everyone does. And his quality of life was greatly improved. Tbh, if you read the possible side effects on most medications, they would give you the willies!

dj023707bobo

Feb 2, 2022
Hi everyone
My husband has advanced Alzheimers & has lately been aggressive with his carers over his personal care, also has hallucinations & is falling & unable to get himself up.
Today the Memory Clinic are thinking of prescribing Risperidone, of course I've researched it on the net & the side effects are horrendous, so I'm feeling very anxious
I wonder if anyone has any experience of it. Would be most grateful for any info.
My husband is on Risperidone which I hate the amount of falls and injuries to his face/ head , I’ve lost count off. Horrendous

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare