1. echo66

echo66 Registered User

May 28, 2015
    Female
    At the start of last week the doctor said you probably had a few months left. By the middle of the week he'd revised that to a few days. On Sunday your distress ended and you finally found some peace.

There are no words to adequately describe the grief, even though expected it doesn't lessen the impact.

I've been dropping in to see Mum every day for the past 12 years. Today was the first time it wasn't necessary. It's like a huge piece of a familiar ritual is missing.

I feel lost.

2. chippiebites

chippiebites Registered User

Jun 27, 2018
    Female
    Please try and take comfort that your Mum is at peace at last. As you say however much the loss was expected it doesn't lessen the impact. I hope you find the strength and courage to sustain you through the days to come. Mums are so special. Please be kind to yourself. xx

3. charlie10

charlie10 Registered User

Dec 20, 2018
    so sorry @echo66 ....loss of anyone is hard, but loss of your mum hits especially hard. Take care x

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I'm so sorry for your loss @echo66. Sending my condolences and wishing you strength.

5. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    12 years is a long time to give @echo66. Please accept my condolences and give yourself time to adjust.

6. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    ((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))) @echo66

7. nellbelles

nellbelles Volunteer Host

Nov 6, 2008
    leicester
    @echo66 please accept my condolences on your sad loss

8. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    My condolences @echo66

My dad died just before Christmas and it took me a while to get used to not having to visit him.

9. hilaryd

hilaryd Registered User

May 28, 2017
    Thinking of you, @echo66 - it's just over a year since my mum died, and I still find it hard to adjust to the changes in routines, even the good ones - I still have Wednesdays off work, which used to be 'mum's day' even before dementia took hold, and some weeks I feel really lost, even though I can now spend the day doing something interesting for myself instead. The first few times are definitely the hardest and strangest though, especially after so many years - take things gently xxx

10. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself.xxx

11. Canadian Joanne

Canadian Joanne Volunteer Moderator

Apr 8, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    My condolences to you. It is a bigger adjustment than we realize. It took several months for my husband and I to stop saying "We'll do that after we visit Mum".

12. Marcelle123

Marcelle123 Registered User

So sorry to read of your loss. It must be a huge shock since caring for your Mum was such a huge part of your. May she rest in peace. Wishing you solace. xx

13. lis66

lis66 Registered User

Aug 7, 2015
    So sorry for your loss echo66 sending (((hugs))) twelve years is a long time hope you find strength to cope in the comming days xx

14. joanne d

joanne d Registered User

Feb 9, 2013
    Big hugs. I know it doesn t seem so right now but you will fill that space with something else for yourself without the guilt that may go with it. Because that is what your mum would want. xxx