Review by social services

jalmaj

Aug 3, 2014
south wales
Just a little moan. Four years after mum seeing a social worker mum, she had a letter saying she would be reviewed, well my sister, her main carer, had a telephone conversation with a social worker. That was it. All in dementia awareness week. We have learnt that says it all.

Otiruz

Nov 28, 2015
Kent
Just a little moan. Four years after mum seeing a social worker mum, she had a letter saying she would be reviewed, well my sister, her main carer, had a telephone conversation with a social worker. That was it. All in dementia awareness week. We have learnt that says it all.

Seems that they just 'might' be aware....but not necessarily care. If it wasn't so tragic it would almost be funny.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Social Services never seem to do anything until there is a crisis, is your sister underplaying the situation, some people do? What if you had a wish list would you want SS to do?
K

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
I have had it with SS. Had an assessment last week, I told them I wanted someone at least one or two days a week to look after Mum as I was her only carer 24/7. Because I don't want carers coming I to do bathing ect I can not get a care package. If they give me an allowance to employ someone so I can have a break, then we get financially assessed and because Mum gets higher rate attendance allowance and I get carers they would stop my carers money. I have decided to get someone private one full day a week
which will come out of my carers money. We just can not win been carers, helping the government saving on CH costs, giving up our jobs to care and this how you get treated.
It is true SS only help when there is a crisis. No wonder we have break downs.
Rant over. x

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi jorgieporgie
I don't understand this
If they give me an allowance to employ someone so I can have a break, then we get financially assessed and because Mum gets higher rate attendance allowance and I get carers they would stop my carers money
the Attendance Allowance and the Carer's Allowance are paid by DWP, not the LA - so why/how would they be affected by having a care package for your mum, no matter how paying for it is organised?
sorry if I've missed something

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Hi jorgieporgie
I don't understand this

the Attendance Allowance and the Carer's Allowance are paid by DWP, not the LA - so why/how would they be affected by having a care package for your mum, no matter how paying for it is organised?
sorry if I've missed something

I must admit that I wondered about this. my Mum is funded by SS and we get a direct payment to fund carers. She still gets higher rate AA and my brother gets carers allowance. My brother and I both get a carers direct payment for ourselves too...