1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

    Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

    Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

  1. slp822

    slp822 Registered User

    Apr 3, 2005

    Does anyone know what the possible options are on residential care. My Grandmother has been diagnosed with dementia earlier this year and my Grandfather has been caring for her. However he is now finding it difficult to cope and my uncles are talking about them selling their house and buying somewhere warden controlled. Personally I don't think this will be any good because its help with my Nan's care that is needed.

    It will devastate them if they are separated but I understand that since Nan is ill she will need to go into a home that can deal with her mental state whereas Grandad isn't ill at all and I don't know if he would be able to join her wherever she goes.

    I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me on this as I think at the moment my uncles are trying to rush things without considering all the possibilities.


  2. daughter

    daughter Registered User

    Mar 16, 2005
    Hi Sarah,

    From personal experience, my Dad is in a Home which is just around the corner from where he lived with my Mum. Although separation was very difficult for my Mum, she can visit him any time and spends every afternoon with him with few exceptions. If there is no appropriate Home near your Grandad and he does not have access to transport, this might be more tricky.

    However, before considering a Home for your Nan, there is respite care, Day Centres (as spoken about in the 'Beginning of a long road' thread) and I believe help can be provided in their own home, although I don't know much about this - someone else may be able to tell you more.

    If your Grandparents go into a warden controlled property, as you rightly say, this is probably not the long term answer regarding care of your Grandmother nor for providing help for your Grandfather which he will need.

    Good Luck,
  3. Norman

    Norman Registered User

    Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Hi Sarah and welcome to talking point.
    I do not think sheltered accomodation is the answer,it is really only moving the problem from one place to another.
    Have you contacted social services?
    Your grandparents are entitled to an assessment of their needs by a social worker and when their needs are agreed social services will assist in providng help.
    There are voluntary bodies who provide sitters such as Crossroads,there is a charge.
    I f you go to the top left hand corner of this page click on "factsheets", No 462 short term care, may be helpful to you.
    Hope this is helpful,come back wheever you feel the the need to talk
    Best Wishes
  4. connie

    connie Registered User

    Mar 7, 2004
    Hi Sarah, I echo Norman in welcomining you to T.P.

    You need to take a long look before rushing into any drastic change of circumstance. Please make sure that what you put in place in really (I was going to say an answer) going to assist. S.S. are very quick to say "oh what you need is xxxx" but are quite difficult to pin down to actualities.

    Sorry to sound so negative, but have just been let down by SS, I feel I would have done better if they had not raised my hopes Regards, Connie.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.