Repetitive physical behaviour in PWD becoming more extreme

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
I was wondering if anyone else caring for a PWD has experienced anything of, or similar to, the following.

Over the past four or five months, mum, 88 yo, mild/moderate dementia, has developed a habit of banging her feet on the floor when sitting down. She puts her feet together, raises them (as in the chair exercise) then bangs them down on the floor, in quick succession, four times; then there's a gap of maybe ten or fifteen seconds and she repeats. Usually it goes on for around half an hour/45 minutes (maybe two or three times a night) but it can go on for several hours in one 'session'.

At first she'd stop if I told her to stop. Then that stopped working and she often says now that she doesn't know she's doing it. We have a table that slides over her knees at mealtimes and it's possible that she couldn't see it happening but now, with the table removed, the banging continues.

I've thought about external factors that might be a cause - is she displaying signs of anxiety, concern and so forth. Is she worried about something? Is it too noisy or too quiet? Is there pain or discomfort of some description? But there's nothing I can identify as a common factor when this happens. I've tried distracting her when it starts - with some success at the beginning but less so now.

She is limited in her mobility & mobilises with a walking frame. I'm trying to organise things so that she could go outside and walk up and down the footpath - when she's walking she does so with some strength - but it's a slow process.

From my research here and over the internet I can't see that it's a usual dementia behaviour so I was wondering if maybe others had a view on the cause, suggestions, or solutions, if not the dementia. I had a dementia team member here but that was of little help & I've a telephone consult with her GP in about ten days time. In the meantime, any suggestions?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Stamping maybe, tapping in time to a tune on the radio with both feet, but banging feet on the floor, while sitting down, sorry no answers from me on that one. Sorry I can't be more helpful. K

phill

Aug 8, 2007
I was wondering if anyone else caring for a PWD has experienced anything of, or similar to, the following.

Over the past four or five months, mum, 88 yo, mild/moderate dementia, has developed a habit of banging her feet on the floor when sitting down. She puts her feet together, raises them (as in the chair exercise) then bangs them down on the floor, in quick succession, four times; then there's a gap of maybe ten or fifteen seconds and she repeats. Usually it goes on for around half an hour/45 minutes (maybe two or three times a night) but it can go on for several hours in one 'session'.

At first she'd stop if I told her to stop. Then that stopped working and she often says now that she doesn't know she's doing it. We have a table that slides over her knees at mealtimes and it's possible that she couldn't see it happening but now, with the table removed, the banging continues.

I've thought about external factors that might be a cause - is she displaying signs of anxiety, concern and so forth. Is she worried about something? Is it too noisy or too quiet? Is there pain or discomfort of some description? But there's nothing I can identify as a common factor when this happens. I've tried distracting her when it starts - with some success at the beginning but less so now.

She is limited in her mobility & mobilises with a walking frame. I'm trying to organise things so that she could go outside and walk up and down the footpath - when she's walking she does so with some strength - but it's a slow process.

From my research here and over the internet I can't see that it's a usual dementia behaviour so I was wondering if maybe others had a view on the cause, suggestions, or solutions, if not the dementia. I had a dementia team member here but that was of little help & I've a telephone consult with her GP in about ten days time. In the meantime, any suggestions?
Just wondering what she did for a job in her working life - if she was a machinist or something similar where she operated something with a treadle or foot pedals?

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023

Did she do chair exercises? Is she trying to exercise to improve mobility and the dementia causing the excessive time/actions.
There is a man at Mum’s care home who continually clicks his fingers - very noisily and strong noises - better than I could do. We think at some point he was told it was good for his circulation as part of hand exercises but his dementia means the stop button has gone.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sometimes people with dementia's brain gets "stuck" on a particular thought, word or action and it gets repeated over and over again as it just goes round and round the brain, with (as @StressedDaughter says) no stop button. I know a chap with dementia who constantly whistles this tuneless whistle and has no idea that he is doing it.

PS - this is called perseveration. I find it helpful to name the symptoms as I find I can cope better if I can say to myself "aha! this is xxx", but I know that not everyone feels the same. If it irritates you, just ignore this bit

Last edited:

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
Did she do chair exercises? Is she trying to exercise to improve mobility and the dementia causing the excessive time/actions.
There is a man at Mum’s care home who continually clicks his fingers - very noisily and strong noises - better than I could do. We think at some point he was told it was good for his circulation as part of hand exercises but his dementia means the stop button has gone.

Hi. Thanks for this. Yes she did the chair exercises when she used to go to the day centre &, by all accounts, enjoyed doing them. I have wondered if this might be a cause but remain uncertain because of the increasing frequency and length of time she's doing it. It's one of the things I'll be chatting about to her GP.

Sometimes people with dementia's brain gets "stuck" on a particular thought, word or action and it gets repeated over and over again as it just goes round and round the brain, with (as @StressedDaughter says) no stop button. I know a chap with dementia who constantly whistles this tuneless whistle and has no idea that he is doing it.

PS - this is called perseveration. I find it helpful to name the symptoms as I find I can cope better if I can say to myself "aha! this is xxx", but I know that not everyone feels the same. If it irritates you, just ignore this bit

HI. Yes. It's certainly a thought that's got 'locked in ' there. I'm like you - I like to know the names of things I'm trying to deal with, too. So thanks for 'perserveration' - every little helps, as they say.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Maybe it's a sensory thing and she just likes the feeling of it plus the sound it makes?
Would putting a different sort of mat/rug/yoga mat under her feet make a difference do you think of would it annoy her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumayanakiwere