Repetitive behavior

Mariane

Jul 27, 2021
Hi my husband plays computer solitaire for hour and hours every day . Is this typical,of mid stage dementia?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Mariane . Yes, this is a typical dementia behaviour. My dad did this for a while - until he forgot how to work the computer and I think I remember one of our other members saying that her husband spends most of his time on his tablet.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Mariane

I wish my husband would have had an activity which kept him occupied. So much better than wandering aimlessly around fretting about the dementia.

I`m not unsympathetic to you, it could be really irritating but at least he is out of harm`s way.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im the one (though there are probably others) whose OH sits on the sofa scrolling through his tablet all day. He simply cannot remember how to do anything else, but at least it keeps him occupied. Im hoping that I might be able to get him to go to day care soon, but it has only recently re-opened after covid and there is a waiting list. A day centre might be something that you could consider for your husband too.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
@Mariane My OH used to do sudoku puzzles for hours when he was at home with me- he completed endless books. He thought that keeping his brain active would protect him from dementia- he had witnessed his father's decline many years ago. But it made no difference and now in a care home he cannot even attempt a sudoku puzzle.

@Dutchman - how I wish my OH would eat- I go every day to try to cajole him into eating but he never eats more than 4 teaspoons of dinner- and the meals are really good in the home.

Mariane

Jul 27, 2021
@Mariane My OH used to do sudoku puzzles for hours when he was at home with me- he completed endless books. He thought that keeping his brain active would protect him from dementia- he had witnessed his father's decline many years ago. But it made no difference and now in a care home he cannot even attempt a sudoku puzzle.

@Dutchman - how I wish my OH would eat- I go every day to try to cajole him into eating but he never eats more than 4 teaspoons of dinner- and the meals are really good in the home.
I am seeing this now, also. He has pretty much given up on Suduko. The countless books are still in every room, but he never picks them up anymore. I love to cook and I do but really it’s all for naught ne eats very sparingly now and it doesn’t matter to him what it is, unless it’s dessert or any kind of sweet.

Mariane

Jul 27, 2021
Hello @Mariane

I wish my husband would have had an activity which kept him occupied. So much better than wandering aimlessly around fretting about the dementia.

I`m not unsympathetic to you, it could be really irritating but at least he is out of harm`s way.
You are right Sylvia I should count my blessing that he occupies his time with the solitaire game, sleeping and watching baseball. I’m going to try harder to remember dementia only goes forward, so the old days are just plain gone. How sad it makes me though to see him disappearing little by little.

Mariane

Jul 27, 2021
Im the one (though there are probably others) whose OH sits on the sofa scrolling through his tablet all day. He simply cannot remember how to do anything else, but at least it keeps him occupied. Im hoping that I might be able to get him to go to day care soon, but it has only recently re-opened after covid and there is a waiting list. A day centre might be something that you could consider for your husband too.
thanks for that idea...I don’t even know if we have care centers such as that near us. We live in a rural area...I’ll be more grateful that he is occupied as you say. I worry and fret about the future too much, I’m sure, but I hate that things will just continue to get progressively worse.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We all grieve for the old days @Mariane.

My husband spent his life planning for our retirement I would tell him he was wasting the day but it had no effect.

I’m grateful we managed a few good holidays but he missed all the achievements of our grandchildren which would have meant the world to him.