Renting or selling my mother's house

Jane Vanessa

Sep 24, 2022
I now have a temporary DOLS in place for 8 months to keep my mother in her current care home. As with so many people with Demential she is constantly saying she hates it there and wants to go back to her house. I really believe the care home is the best place for her due to her very challenging behaviour which previous in home carers have been unable to handle. Therefore I would like to rent out her home to help cover her care home fees. However, I have spoken with the IMCA team regarding the DOLS and it now has to go to the Court of Protection which could take at least a year I understand. Am I able to rent out or sell her home for her to help with the fees in the meantime?

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Renting out, has many problems, not least bad tenants.
Selling, once sold and money in the bank, you know exactly what you have.

Bod

Jane Vanessa

Sep 24, 2022
Thank you Bod for your response much appreciated. What I really would like to know is whether I can legally do either until the Court of Protection has done it's bit?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Why was an ICMA appointed?

6 IMCAs are primarily intended to be a safeguard for people who do not have family or friends who can represent them. The MCA identifies this as having no -one other than paid staff with whom "it would be appropriate to consult". The Code of Practice 10.74 - 10.78 provides more information about how this decision can be made. For example, if someone has limited family contact or if family live some distance away an IMCA can be instructed.
https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/imca/do .

Contact
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/dementia-support-line .
and/or
Mind closed till Monday
for support

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Good question @nitram I have just emailed to ask the SS. Why is a stranger preferable to friends of over 45 years? It makes me wonder what agenda is going on here!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Part of the DoLS process is to appoint someone to represent the person with dementia, known as the RPR (Relevant Person's Representative.) A family member or long time friend is often given this job BUT it all depends whether you are in agreement about the placement.

So if your mum wants to go home and you want her to stay in the care home, you cannot be her RPR. Instead, an Independent Advocate will be appointed to fight your mum's corner.

Even if your mum's views are completely bonkers, as was the case with my own mum, this will still be supported by the advocate.

With a bit of luck, nothing will change now as you've got the temproary DoLS in place. It will probably be the case that when they come back to re-assess your mum in 8 months, it will be totally clear that she needs 24/7 care. It's only when the SW deems the person with dementia does have some capacity to decide where they want to live that the RPR/Advocate thing is needed.

In mum's case, the full DoLS was granted on the second visit (as her condition had progressed) and I could breathe a sigh of relief that mum could stay where she needed to be.