Refuses to let carers in.

Lyn67

Mar 6, 2024
My mum is having carers come twice a day for med promts but is absolutely refusing it. Won't
let them in. Barricading door and very unpleasant to carer. We are having a keysafe installed and I think this will tip her over the edge!! I feel awful and the distress she is experiencing is hard to bare. Does it ever get easier ?

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Can you stay with her for a week to help the routine or maybe its the carers she dislikes, try a different agency would be an option. Ideally having the same carer is preferable but not always possible.

amIinthewrong?

Jan 24, 2024
Are you having a key safe for both the front and back door? Because then if she barricades one they can get in the other way. Also I don't know if the carers are going to agree to doing this, because if they are told if their not needed they will leave, and put in the log book that they went round but were not let in. You may have to tell the agency your with that this, is concerning you and ask them if there is away around it, as you still want the carers to help your mother.💐💐

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Lyn67

I’m sorry to read how distressed your mum is regarding necessary help from carers and I suspect you’re right that them being able to let themselves in will distress her even more.
@Rayreadynow has a good suggestion and if it’s possible to have someone else there to “introduce “ the carers (I introduced my dad’s first carer as a friend) for the first few visits it might help.

Sadly when PWD won’t accept help at home the only solution is a carehome. It’s so difficult to know what to do for the best.

Lyn67

Mar 6, 2024
Hi thankyou for your responses and sorry its been a while to reply. The situation got worse, we included a key safe but that escalated the distress. Now in process of looking into residential care with Social worker and Admiral nurse support. I am emotionally drained by it all but know its probably right decision. She has stopped eating etc, and I'm worried sick about the transition. This is so sad.