refusal of attendance allowance?

Mirielle

Dec 6, 2023
My application for attendance allowance has just been refused. My husband has mild dementia but cannot do pills, navigate, shop, remember instructions or faces. I do it all and need help. Any advice as to getting the refusal reversed would be welcome.
Mirielle

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My application for attendance allowance has just been refused. My husband has mild dementia but cannot do pills, navigate, shop, remember instructions or faces. I do it all and need help. Any advice as to getting the refusal reversed would be welcome.
Mirielle
have you contacted CAB or age uk? they help to fill them in or look at why you were refused. you need to use key words that they have experience of. quite often people play down the amount of help they give to the person. even prompting to say washing is still helping with a wash. it doesnt need to be you doing the hands on care but prompting. would he remember to eat, prepare food, wash, dress, meds if you werent there?

SeaGirl

Nov 23, 2023
Mirielle
Citizen's Advice have a section in their webpages on 'Challenging an Attendance Allowance decision'. The first stage is to request a 'mandatory reconsideration'. If this is unsuccessful, then you can 'appeal the decision'. Have a look at CA's website, but better yet try to speak to them in your area as Jennifer has suggested, as they may be able to help you.

60'sGirl

Oct 2, 2023
My Care and Repair dept (Wales) were so helpful in doing this for me when I was refused night time care and was eventually granted. I was told I hadn't used the "key" words and played down what was really happening as Jennifer167 wrote.
In hindsight I should have contacted agencies before I filled in the form.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Mirielle and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your application. We had help from the council's welfare rights officer. The advice I received was to imagine the worst day - all of the things that you do in support all being needed - and write this down without pulling any punches.

You have received good advice from other members and I hope that this enables your claim to be settled in your husband's favour.

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
I applied with the help of my daughter and my husbands Alzimers nurse , and we were lucky enough to get it , My advise was as others have said think of the worst day and even exaggerate , good luck

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
welfare rights filled ours in and managed to get the full award[night time as well] the first time. he knew how to answer the questions in the way that they want you to answer them

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
I applied for AA for my late husband back during lockdown.
I was lucky to get a very helpful young man on the phone and he coached me through the application.
The best thing he advised was to answer the questions with your worst case scenario i.e. What my husband was like at his worst.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
We were also advised to mention any other health problems that my husband had, as well as the dementia. Plus the usual advice of describing how things were on his worst days. We also got the full award.

Murray Evans

Nov 14, 2023
My application for attendance allowance has just been refused. My husband has mild dementia but cannot do pills, navigate, shop, remember instructions or faces. I do it all and need help. Any advice as to getting the refusal reversed would

Murray Evans

Nov 14, 2023
My application for AA for my partner was initially declined. On appealing, the official that telephoned me accepted the application on the grounds that without me to prepare meals, he would be unable to provide/cook his own. I hope this helps and best of luck.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Age UK were very helpful to me. I was very surprised when the person assessing the claim telephoned. I didn’t have the form in front of me, and answered from the top of my head. I was really thrown and sometimes said “I don’t know!” He insisted I reply. Goodness knows if my answers were the same as on the form. He asked if my OH had arthritis. I burst out laughing and said, “No, but I do.”

He told me he’d decide that day and I’d hear in 2-3 weeks. He gave my OH a high rate. I was also told to think of the worst day, which isn’t my natural instinct. But of course, unfortunately, they’re all going to deteriorate.

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Mirielle

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Speak to Late Life Planners at Age UK. They were really helpful to me in getting a Blue Badge and Attendance Allowance. All over the phone. I’m sure they would give you good advice.

B72

Jul 21, 2018
Your pharmacist can provide a dossett box with all the pills not only sorted out into different days of the week but also what time of day they should be taken. It makes life simpler.

Last edited:

Mirielle

Dec 6, 2023
Thank you all for advice.

I was so distraught one day I just wrote them a letter saying how bad it was and they reversed the decision. I come to this forum when I am upset. Thank you.