'red button' service - won't lift a dementia patient ?

Vegpatch

Nov 3, 2016
My parents have had a panic button system installed since my dad came out of hospital following a stroke. He has Alzheimer's.
Yesterday, he slipped off his armchair and onto the floor, and couldn't get up. My elderly mum couldn't get him up either, so she pressed her red button.
However, while the provider do offer a lifting service, they won't offer this to dementia patients - my mum had not been made aware of this previously. This makes an absolute mockery of the service ! She had to ring 999 in the end, and my dad had to remain on the floor for longer than he should have.

I feel really angry that dementia patients are being 'discriminated' against with this policy. They have explained that it's a risk assessment and that those with dementia often can't tell the provider whether they're hurt or not...but this doesn't apply to all those with dementia, or if they have another adult with them (as happened yesterday !)

Has anyone else come up against this ? Are there any providers that do lift those with dementia if they have fallen ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Mum didn't have her alarm button until she was well on the way to extreme dementia and it did have it uses.

The problem is, People with dementia really quite often cannot tell you accurately where/what hurts. I think you will find it very difficult to find anyone that will just lift a fallen dementia sufferer. Call the ambulance is fairly standard for fallers, dementia or not

I really don't agree that its discrimination- with the best will in the world you mum cannot possibly judge if he was hurt or not- She might well have witnessed the fall and think he's okay- others wont take the risk

Last edited:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have never heard of this and if it is the case then there is no point in us having it and paying £26 a month!

I will enquire.

BJS

Feb 10, 2017
I have never heard of this and if it is the case then there is no point in us having it and paying £26 a month!

I will enquire.

my dad has dementia and the red button people come and pick him up quite often when he slides to the floor (he never "falls" according to him). I too hadn't heard that there might be an issue with this. As you say, if they had a rule not to do so they should make it clear. I do understand the point about someone with severe dementia not being able to explain where they have hurt themselves but surely it cannot be a blanket rule not to come out to anyone with dementia - there is such a spectrum of severity!
Would be interested to hear other responses. Maybe it's a district guideline?

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Never been aware of this. But then my mother never had one of those alarms, though both my husband's uncle and mother did.

When my mother had several falls within a week, she would always insist , "But I haven't had a fall". From a woman still lying on the floor because we hadn't dared move her! :confused: We did dial the NHS 111 service.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
When in doubt....... get the Paramedics out.

I can give another possible reason for the Button service providers not lifting..... Occasionally Dementia Patients can turn violent when confronted by strangers.

None of this is of any help, but really the providers ought to a) explain their reasons at time of contract and b) call / or prompt the user to call 999.