Rectal prolapse

Jolly sailor

Apr 1, 2017
My mother is in a Carehome but in the nursing unit because she is non compliant. Has had a few falls since being there and put on medication to stop her wandering at night time when most of the falls are, medication for severe depression and not being able to sleep.. Few days ago informed has rectal prolapse and would be managed with cream and put back, I asked seeing she is non compliant how this would be managed as very difficult to get washed etc. We would try persuasion and different staff, if this doesn't work what then? We can not force her if she won't let us we can't do anything. My big question is if any one has an answer please, if prolapse doesn't get put back in wont infection take over and the outcome be very bleak, I also asked if they took to hospital would they do it but answer same can't make her..mother has moderate to severe alzheimers

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello and welcome, although I'm sorry you find yourself in a position to need us!

I'm afraid I know next to nothing about rectal prolapse, or how to deal with it. However I do remember there was a discussion on the problem, maybe early last year or could have been the year before. It's quite common, from what I understand, so I'm sure someone familiar with it will be along soon.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app