Recently diagnosed

Jhuston

Jan 15, 2024
I’m in the early stages of dementia . I can’t remember people who are close to me . It takes time but I eventually figure it out . I have misplaced things as well . I forget the story line on tv and lose interest in it . I have a hard time completing simple tasks too .can somebody please help understand ?

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I’m in the early stages of dementia . I can’t remember people who are close to me . It takes time but I eventually figure it out . I have misplaced things as well . I forget the story line on tv and lose interest in it . I have a hard time completing simple tasks too .can somebody please help understand ?
Hello Jhuston, I'm very sorry to read of your diagnosis. This is a very upsetting time for you. The experiences you describe are sadly very common with this horrible disease. It takes some time to adjust to this diagnosis. There's a helpful leaflet about understanding your diagnosis. You can see it if you click on this link:

Understanding diagnosis

There will always be people on this forum who understand so please continue to post.

Sue9354

Jan 22, 2024
I totally understand as I was diagnosed 3 years ago as we went into covid. It has taken me this long to get my head around it. Some days are worse than others, I make sure I get out everyday and on bad days I try to cut myself some slack and do creative things I enjoy doing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Jhuston and @Sue9354.

I’m sorry to hear about your dementia. . I’m glad you’ve both decided to share here on the forum. You’ll find people here will understand and support you.

mdr107

Jun 8, 2016
I never say you can live “well” with dementia, it is an unexpected crossroads in life. However, it can open new avenues and you can meet new, genuine friends: when I was diagnosed my old ones ran a mile. I keep busy doing academic level research, on Scottish Lived Experience Panel for our Strategy and am a Public partner on SIGN (Scotland’s NICE). and various national NHS committee, hard brain work but neurologist says I would be in Care otherwise.
Try and find something stimulating to do, tiring but worth it!

vas

Oct 13, 2023

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I forget the story line on tv and lose interest in it .

My mother stopped reading because she could never remember what had happened before her bookmarked page.

My husband found it easier to watch programmes complete in a single showing.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I never say you can live “well” with dementia, it is an unexpected crossroads in life. However, it can open new avenues and you can meet new, genuine friends: when I was diagnosed my old ones ran a mile. I keep busy doing academic level research, on Scottish Lived Experience Panel for our Strategy and am a Public partner on SIGN (Scotland’s NICE). and various national NHS committee, hard brain work but neurologist says I would be in Care otherwise.

Such important work you’re undertaking.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
welcome to adaption every moment every day. what was isn't, what is might be, then again maybe not. notes lots of notes.page starts day date. thing need to do. check notes from yesterday follow up. day starts with strict schedule so hopefully i will notice a misstep and get back on track. at least i feel I'm starting the day in some inkling of control. I'm part of several alz.groups.meet a lot of incredible people on the same journey.thats one of many things but here is a place that people truly understand our world and the hearts and mind are op to what ever may be..;...

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Adapting must be about adjusting to losing short term memory. I found that the average time I forgot what I was going to do elsewhere in or around my house could vary from less than a half minute to maybe about two minutes, so I’ve accepted that I must make a note of where I am about to go, and why, in other words what I am going to do once there. It is a little time consuming, but at least I can now go somewhere in the house, and once there not have to look around, puzzled, wondering what the heck I am doing there! I only thought of that once I had been taking the Donepezil for about 3 months. Also, having a small notebook and pen handy, and having a bulletin board inside my front door also helped me.
Thankfully, I haven’t (noticeably) lost too many memories over the past few years, but I think those memories between 2005 and now can be pretty vague and fuzzy, except for the major events.
Hope this can help somebody.
David Joseph

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
david joseph i like the note for where you are going and why in the house i just added it to to days list.......

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Dear All,
I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can answer them. My mother, who also had Alzheimer’s, when she couldn’t remember a word, or a name, or a thing, she would just substitute it for the word “whatchemacallit”. Now I find myself doing something similar, many times during a typical day. My questions and other ones are driving my OH crazy!
Any answers would be much appreciated by both of us.
David Joseph

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Dear All,
I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can answer them. My mother, who also had Alzheimer’s, when she couldn’t remember a word, or a name, or a thing, she would just substitute it for the word “whatchemacallit”. Now I find myself doing something similar, many times during a typical day. My questions and other ones are driving my OH crazy!
Any answers would be much appreciated by both of us.
David Joseph
Sadly forgetting the names of people places and objects is common.
My OH hardly remembers nouns now and I feel I'm playing give us a clue. I often can work out what he's trying to tell me by further questioning but I'm afraid sometimes we both have to give up. Try and keep going with the conversation though as it's important to be able to communicate for as long as you can.🙂

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
My OH hardly remembers nouns now and I feel I'm playing give us a clue. I often can work out what he's trying to tell me by further questioning but I'm afraid sometimes we both have to give up. Try and keep going with the conversation though as it's important to be able to communicate for as long as you can.🙂
Dear Maggi
Dear maggi6445,
Thank you for giving me a straight answer, but do you think this naming loss is forgetting, or not getting access to words that are still there but just not coming out on demand. Is this loss 100 percent inevitable? As you can see I can still write, however awkwardly and slowly it takes. I’ve done a lot of writing since the age of 14, and am now nearly 80.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Dear Maggi

Dear maggi6445,
Thank you for giving me a straight answer, but do you think this naming loss is forgetting, or not getting access to words that are still there but just not coming out on demand. Is this loss 100 percent inevitable? As you can see I can still write, however awkwardly and slowly it takes. I’ve done a lot of writing since the age of 14, and am now nearly 80.
I think that probably depends on the type of dementia you have. Different dementia and how quickly it affects people is unique to the person. My mum had dementia and she could name things correctly although her general conversation was lost as her memory declined. She still knew who I was but not my daughter.

Mm.. difficult to say if words forgotten or lost. If I ask my OH to pass, say a cup, from the table he'll offer a tissue box instead or anything else but rarely what I asked for, just the nearest or most obvious because of size or colour. Tonight I said I couldn't find the kitchen timer and he gave me the TV remote . My OH's isn't word delay ,where he'd get the correct word if he was given time or even remember later. It is more forgotten,I think.

My OH was told Alzheimer's with possible Lewy body and I think the Lewy Body is the dominant dementia in that he has the hallucinations and shuffling mobility.
People's dementia journey varies with type and possibly age. No one can say how yours will progress. Just enjoy life while you can and try not to worry.
All the best to you and your family.

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Dear mdr27,
May I please ask you this, because I am considering joining the Panel —- what has been your experience of being on the Panel?
It sounds like joining is a good step. Are there any drawbacks?
Best wishes,
David Joseph

David Joseph

Oct 20, 2023
Dear mdr27,
May I please ask you this, because I am considering joining the Panel —- what has been your experience of being on the Panel?
It sounds like joining is a good step. Are there any drawbacks?
Best wishes,
David Joseph
To mdr107
I’ve sent a wee message to you but unfortunately got your name wrong.I hope you get it anyway!
Cheers
David Joseph

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julianhudges