Ready for care home? Feeling desperate

123is321

Jan 5, 2015
Liverpool
Hi all, I'm a 20 year old part time carer for my dad who is suffering from early-onset Alzheimer's (he has another part time carer too). Unfortunately at this point in time I feel like I'm reaching the end of my tether and could do with some advice.

My dad was diagnosed 3 years ago and my family were adamant we would take care of him until it was absolutely necessary to place him into professional care, however recently he has been aggressive, non-compliant with his medication and somewhat dangerous. Only today he found the car keys and whilst I was on the phone and another family member was in the garden, he managed to start the car and began to drive out of the drive; I feel terrible as this could've ended disastrously not only endangering himself but also other drivers and pedestrians. I love my dad but I'm struggling to see through his illness at the moment, he is so blissfully unaware of how his illness is impacting both mine and my mum's lives.

I have reluctantly been considering dementia focused care homes recently, and I'd really appreciate any opinions/advice on whether you'd consider he was ready to take that step as I feel so guilty that I cannot provide all the help he does deserve, thanks.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi,

You are going through a rough patch at the moment. Has your Dad been assessed as to his needs and also your Mum and yourself?

When your Dad has his assessment then his needs will be identified and hopefully solutions offered. With your assessment and your Mum's then your needs re helping your Dad will be identified and help given to you to help you in your caring role.

Once you have hour options you can move forward with what is in the best interests of you all as a family.

Sorry if this has already been undertaken.