Quantity of liquids,how much is enough ?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
My mum has slowed down on her liquid intake and just manages 500ml of water,she drinks this from a bottle with a straw so she doesn't have the benefit of being able to pick up a glass and consume a large amount each time she has a drink like a younger able person would,I did tried her with spouted cups and she hasn't taken to them,I also tried supermarket volvic bottles etc,with the fitted spout but she didn't do well with them and the water was too much of a surprise for her.she can't hold the bottle herself I have to hold it and so the bottle and straw has been the only answer for mum at the moment,she has 200ml of milk with porridge with a large banana mashed in for breakfast and a fair bit of vedge every day.
So I just want to know is she having enough liquids,I'm going to disregard the articles on the internet saying people should have 1500ml to 2000ml a day,a lot of people with dementia surely aren't going to be able to get anywhere near that and even in a care home,I don't think somebody will be there like me to proffer a drink for my mum every 20 mins like I do at home as I'm here all day,I have just bought some Angel delight which she likes so my aim is to split that in to 2 or 3 portions between meals each day and that would add another 300ml of milk,what are peoples thoughts?Mum is eating well but it's just the liquids.
I'm waiting for a delivery of new straws called unflow straws with a one way valve to lessen the effort required when drinking with a straw

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid I dont kno how much (or little) is OK, but I wondered whether you had tried things like jelly, ice-cream and custard which contain liquid, but can be given on a spoon.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Im afraid I dont kno how much (or little) is OK, but I wondered whether you had tried things like jelly, ice-cream and custard which contain liquid, but can be given on a spoon.
She does like ice cream but in a cone,I will have to get them for her so she can have 1 a day and hide them from my son,custard is a good idea but the tinned stuff was too sweet,I could try the powdered stuff,I think made by Birds that she used to give me when I was younger,I'm sure that was blander so I will buy some,and I will get some jelly too,thanks for your ideas.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
It doesn't have to be pure water. Try adding some squash to make it taste nice. I keep a bottle of vimto in my dad's fridge for myself and dad keeps helping himself to it. Tastes much nicer than water.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
It doesn't have to be pure water. Try adding some squash to make it taste nice. I keep a bottle of vimto in my dad's fridge for myself and dad keeps helping himself to it. Tastes much nicer than water.
Thanks she does have apple and blackcurrant too,we haven't tried Vimto yet,I shall get some tomorrow