Psychiatrist Visit

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Hello All,

Hope everyone is well, following a "low" period a couple of weeks ago where my dad was prescribed Resperidone by the GP, this has taken the edge of things slightly but there have been a couple of occasions where he has been more confused than ever for instance I found him putting his socks in the toilet cistern last night when I asked what you up to he told me he's putting his socks in the washing machine! He's never done anything like that before, I don't know whether to put it down to the Resperidone or the Dementia.

Anyway a letter turned up yesterday telling us a Psychiatrist will be visiting Tuesday morning. Can anyone tell me what I should expect from the Psychiatrist, I'll be writing down everything that's happened and pass that onto the them.

Thanks in advance

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
That's the best thing to do - keep a note of everything, as well as your general impression on how the medication is working. They may be considering increasing the dose a little, or possibly adding something else in, if it might improve things. It's never a time for being brave, and pretending things are better than they really are!

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
Hi Lady A

Thanks for your reply, I'm going to write things down this afternoon to pass onto the psychiatrist, he's very very confused lately I definitley think he needs something to help.

Thanks again

abz2005

Aug 11, 2016
So the psychiatrist has been today with his assistant a very pleasant lady, I'd written down everything and passed it to him, he didn't look at it in hoping he will look at it at a later time. Anyway surprise surprise my dad was in bed when they came 1pm, so I spoke to them for a while then he asked if he could see my dad, sure no problem I took him to my dad's room he had a perfectly good conversation with my dad which annoyed me as he didn't see the other "confused" side, he did hint to me that he wanted to ask my dad about the other house my dad constantly wanders around town looking for, I've mentioned the issue about the other house in a previous post. I asked him not to bring it up as it will trigger the whole thing with my dad, then we will have it all day after the Dr had gone. Dr seemed a little annoyed I asked him not to bring the conversation up.

Anyway he prescribed more sedatives, lorazepam in addition to the resperidone, we are to give him half a tablet of lorazepam when he's aggitated. He also said he may benefit with some anti depressants on top of everything else. This seems a little excessive to me but I'm no Dr.

Personally I didn't know what to expect from this visit but don't think I got very much from it other than I asked for some numbers in case of an emergency. He said he would visit again in a month.

I should mention he's in one of his confused phases where he's off wandering for this other house almost daily, physically he's fine and can get about so we can't restrain him, anyway a member of the public found him yesterday and brought him home. Last week a taxi driver brought him home when he was found wandering in the road in town. Or this evening we all went to bed he wouldn't go up he said he's going wait for the visitors he's expecting to turn up!!

Just thought I would keep you updated.

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Mum's psychiatrist monitored her condition and repeatedly tweaked her medication to suit the varying phases and progression of her illness. There wasn't a lot of input each year - but what there was, was useful.

Perhaps your Dad's psychiatrist needs a little time to get to know him and know how to help him?